Ewon Cosy USB oscilloscope connection

I just discovered the USB over IP functionality which worked well for most applications when forcing Ewon to TCP/IP. It is a fantastically nice feature.

However, an USB oscilloscope called “Picoscope” https://no.farnell.com/pico-technology/picoscope-5444b/oscilloscope-4-ch-200mhz-10g-s/dp/2310261 does not work, probably due to high bandwidth need.

Are there any oscilloscopes (USB or ethernet) that work with Ewon Cosy 131?

Hi @erikhoff

When you say it doesn’t work do you mean that it isn’t responding to pings or that the device’s software isn’t working?

-Tim

It disconnects after a while, and just disappears from the eCatcher view. I guess it is due to too high bandwidth need, which is quire extreme. Also an FPGA programmer with USB 3.0 (Altera) hangs when trying (not CE marked), but not disappearing from eCatcher if I remember correctly. It is very understandable it happens due to the large amount of data. However, especially for the oscilloscope, it would be a very nice feature to be able to share it through Ewon in order to help service personnel on the other side of the globe. It really doesn’t matter so much which type of oscilloscope fits Ewon. I hope to try a Tektronix scope with ethernet connection tomorrow.

Just to make sure, do you have your Cosy setup to use TCP instead of UDP for the connection? It might just be that the issue is that the data is getting lost because there’s no packet correction. I’ll check with my colleagues though and see if anybody has any reference for using an oscilloscope with an Ewon device

Yes, I had to force TCP/IP to get it working with Atmel AVR microcontroller ISP programmer (Olimex AVR-ISP-MK2). The FTDIchip USB-to-serial converter did work with forced TCP/IP, but didn’t test without.

Hi Erik,

I reached out to some colleagues and they haven’t heard of anybody using this device to remotely connect to an oscilloscope before, so unfortunately I don’t have devices that I can recommend.

It sounds like you have already gone through and applied the settings I would have recommended as well such as forcing the device to use TCP. One other thing that may help would be to check eCatcher and make sure that is forced to TCP as well as the Ewon device