EWON down

Hi

According to the logs, our EWON went down on 2/21/19, then went up/down numerous times until 2/23/19 (STATUS OFFLINE), which is the last entry. I hooked up a laptop locally and everything looked fine until I hit update. I lost the Private Key, eWON Certificate and CA Certificate info (fields are blank).

Although, I do not know if the these setting are correct. In the VPN Connection: Incoming, it shows: VPN IP addressing config = automatic. Local VPN IP address = 10.254.0.2. Remote VPN IP address = 10.254.0.1.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you, Fred

Hi Fred,

If device is still showing OFFLINE in eCatcher, please do the following:

1. Can you confirm the eWON has internet access using the Internet Wizard?

2. You will want to run the Talk2M VPN Wizard again as well, using the activation key found in eCatcher, under the device properties > Talk2M Connectivity.

Let me know if the device comes back online after that.

Kyle

Kyle

Ok. So I connected to it locally with eBuddy and a cross cable. I tried what you suggested (Internet wizard and Talk2M Wizard) and both would error “There was a problem retrieving the XML data”. Then it seemed to hang saying “connecting”. Maybe I should have left it for a while? I don’t know how long it should take.

In my original post on your support site, the fields for Private Key, eWON Certificate and CA Certificate are now blank. Should I call the support number to get this configured again, or can you send me a guide?

Thank you

Hi Fred,

It may be easiest just to do a factory reset at this point and then reconfigure. This is accomplished by holding down the RESET (or BI1 key) as the device is powered on and keeping the button pressed for at least 40 seconds. You will see the USR light blink RED for a few seconds and then stay solid RED when completed. At this point, cycle device power once more and defaults will be restored.

If you have some configuration that you want to save, I recommend using eBuddy to create a backup of the device.

Can you give me with the model and serial number of the device so I can provide you with the manual?

Thanks,
Kyle

Kyle - It looks like you didn’t receive my last email reply (03/06). I don’t see it posted here on the web site. Anyway, our maintenance tech had told me he had called the support number and he was waiting on them to send him some documentation on the EWON. He never heard back from them, so I called the tech support number yesterday and left a VM and I am just waiting for a call back. Anyway, here is the device information:

Model Flexy 201
S/N 1745-0086-21
Interface FLX 3101

Hi Fred,

Kyle is out this week for training so I’ll take over this ticket. If the device is being unresponsive can you try and follow the recovery procedure that I talk about in the post below?

Thanks,
-Tim

Tim

The beginning of the ticket you linked me to shows how to update the firmware (which I did), and at the bottom it explains how to do a recovery (which I’m not sure if I’m supposed to do since I have already updated the firmware). It’s unclear what I’m supposed to do. I found the guide online that shows how to do a factory reset, but I want to be sure it’s the appropriate action I should do. Apparently, it will wipe out my configuration. I did do a backup using eBuddy. Maybe you can remote in to check my device? Please advise. Thank you

Hello,

Is there a number I can call you at to try and go through this?

Tim - You can reach me at

Thank you , Fred

Hi fred I gave you a call but got a busy line so I left a message.

Is there a time that works better for you tomorrow?

Tim - how about 9 AM pst? If not, give me a time that’s convenient for you.

yeah that works

Calling back at 4 EST

Tim

• connected locally with my laptop and could access web interface with ebuddy
  • times out when connecting from our LAN
  • Status says Internet = OK; VPN = not configured
  • Continuous PING to IP address while power cycled EWON to confirm that IP address is correct and not in use by another device
  • updated firmware last week to 13.0s0

Tim - if ok with you, can we change to 1:30 PST? If not, let’s try tomorrow.
Thank you

Tim I will be in late today. I apologise. Give me a time for later today or tomorrow

Hey Fred,

Want to try for 830 PST again tomorrow morning?

830 PST tomorrow is good for me.

Thanks Tim

Fred Villalobos

Tim - my manager and I checked the firewall and we can’t see anything being blocked. Just to verify with you: we need to allow openvpn TCP and UDP ports 443 and 1194? is this correct? I’m getting ready to open a case with Palo Alto Networks so they can have a look in case we’re missing something.

Also, I came across Talk2M connection checker. I installed and ran it. Everything checked good except “invalid client (1001)”. Under that it says “skipping the connection test to VPN server”.
Do you think this might be related to the issue?

Also, in the past I’ve been able to connect to the web interface. Might the fact that I can’t now point to some other issue? I’m just throwing stuff out. It’s just strange that all of a sudden I have a connection issue after it has been working so well for all this time.

Thank you, Fred

Hi Fred,

Generally we don’t recommend using the connection checker because while that may show all passes it doesn’t mean that the device can necessarily connect.

Would it be possible to temporarily take the firewall down just to test if the device can connect after that? For the most part we just need to have udp 1194 and tcp 443 as well as making sure that the openvpn isn’t being blocked by a firewall or other network settings

Hi Fred,

I wanted to check in to make sure you have been able to resolve this. The following document has instructions for IT departments for firewall configuration:

And here are the IP addresses we are currently using:

Kyle