Ewon will not connect to Internet

Hi Support - the ewon associated with this post - please see logs attached - cannot connect to the internet - seems like the DHCP is able to hand off an IP address for the device - we have tested a laptop to same patch cord connected to Ewon and we see no issues - able to get to internet - and access Talk2m from the laptop - any thoughts? much appreciated - thanks.

Hi,
Could you pleas create a backup with support files using eBuddy. How long is the cable you are trying to connect the Ewon with?

JLS_Backup.etar.gz (8.5 KB) JLS2_Backup.etar.gz (10.2 KB)

I took the support files straight ebuddy and attached here - do these work as intended?

We have a 5 footer ethernet from wall jack into WAN port of ewon - then 90-100 feet straight data run to our meraki cisco switch connection and out to egress internet.

These are not backups from ebuddy those look like they were taken from the web configuration page and are missing information. You will need to make a backup from ebuddy. The file will be a .tar

If it a a 100 foot run to the switch and it is giving you dhcp error it sounds like the run it to long for the Ewon. You can try try adding an unmanaged switch between the Ewon and the wall jack to see if it might clear up the signal.

Understood - I will try to get a backup soon for review.

From the Ewon support side - what is the supported cable length to the network switch/router? is it below 100 FT? 50FT? the project might call for adding multiple Ewons within our warehouse environment which carry lengths upwards 100-250 feet in length - adding unmanaged switches is not really a viable option.
Thoughts? any feedback much appreciated. TY

@Zach_HMS - just following up to my question - is there a limitation on cable length (switch >>> ewon)?

Thanks

@Zach_HMS MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (196.5 KB)

Furthermore - please see attached ebuddy backup of the ewon in question.

Thanks

From the log I am seeing this error pla-Switch monitoring which means either the ports or the ethernet cable is getting some interference. If you go tot eh event log and change the drop down in the upper right from “warning” to “trace” you should see this message show. when it does you can try pressing where it says fix here.

This might resolve the issue with the Ewon not receiving an IP address from the DHCP server.

@Zach_HMS

Where will the “WARNING to Trace” be located within this screen shot?

The level you have circled in the upper right corner has drop down options one of which you can choose trace.

@Zach_HMS - thanks for that - I tried exactly as instructed - click on fix issue (counters -switch monitor activated ) after selecting trace option and still have the same issue - can you please check out the following backup file TAR log to tell me if you see anything else. At this point - going to assume that distance between network cabinet/switch and E- won is causing issues experienced.

ewon-spider10-5.tar (17.5 KB)

Thanks
ruribe

Hi Ruribe,

It looks like the event logs are missing from the backup. could you check the “include support files” button and send it again?

@Zach_HMS sorry about that - please see attached.MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (167.5 KB)

Thanks

Hi,

The new event log is still showing issues on port 4 of the Cosy. It is now reset that port since switch monitor is active, but that does not seem to be doing enough to clear up the communication issue.
I would check to see if the cable is shielded and not running with any power cables.

@Zach_HMS - thanks but we ended up taking the same Cosy and started walking backwards to troubleshoot - for clarity issues started happening when dealing with over 120 feet of data ethernet run to Cosy. Found another ethernet network jack closest to our network switch (70 feet) still the same issue - DHCP does not work. Found another network jack (25-30 feet) close to our network switch - issue goes away - able to get DHCP address and connect to internet.

Question - going forward what is best practices when dealing with these devices (distance wise) to get this connected to the internet or at least DHCP lease? I haven’t seen or read any documentation relating to this exact issue - granted I understand not every Network environment is the same but there should be a general requirement/limitation when it comes to this specific issue we experienced.

Thank you for any feedback
ruribe