Flexy 205, AT&T 4G, failing at Internet Wizard, WAN conneciton

We are having issues configuring Flexy 205 devices with 4G modem cards and AT&T SIM cards. The signal strength is 15-18 which I expected to be good enough to configure the modems. We have previously configured dozens of Flexy 205 devices, both 3G and 4G, and this is the first time this issue seems to have appeared. This the log result:

A cell reception of 15-18 is borderline. We recommend a minimum of 18 for a stable connection, but I do think it should be able to at least connect for a time with a reception in that range. Is the SIM card you’re using definitely active? Do you have another active SIM card you could try using?

Could you capture a backup with support files for us to look at? This will give us access to the logs and configuration of the device so that we can pin down what’s happening here. To do this, open eBuddy, select the Ewon device you’d like help with, and click “Backup/Restore”. Make sure to check “include support files”, then click through to create a backup.

Thank you for the reply. I have subsequently attempted the Internet Wizard in a different physical location where I was able to obtain a signal of 29 which the same failed result. The first location that had the 15-18 signal level is one we have used for years and we are not aware of any changes in the towers in the area.

I have tried two different Flexy 205 bases, one which worked previously and a second which is brand new. I have tried two different SIM cards known and verified to be active.

Attached is the requested backup file. Thank you for your support.

MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (132 KB)

Can check your modem’s firmware version by navigating to Diagnostic → Status → System Info → Info, then looking at the value of ModemExtInfo? If it’s fully updated, it should be running 20.00.507. If it’s not, you should update it to rule out any issues due to outdated firmware.

One of the modems is 20.00.507 and the other is 20.00.505:

PS The modem with the 20.00.505 firmware was successfully upgraded to 20.00.507 and an Internet Wizard configuration was attempted and failed.

Let’s review what you’ve tested so far. You’ve tried two separate SIM cards, both verified to be active, as well as two Flexy 205 base units. You mention two modems, so were those installed in each of the Flexys? The modem firmware is fully updated, and setup failed the same way in a place with very strong cellular reception.

If the issue is happening on two separate devices with different modems and SIM cards, that makes me think there is a configuration issue. Would you be okay carrying out a factory reset on the device to rule out any configuration changes that have been made? The instructions are as follows:

• Power off the unit.
  • While powering it on, press & maintain the reset button. The LED labeled BI1 turns green.
  • Keep the reset button pressed for approximately 35 seconds until the USR LED remains red steady.
  • When this state is reached, release the button. The LED labeled BI1 turns off.
  • Check if the auto test is successful, the USR LED blinks red with a pattern of 200ms on and 1500ms off. The Ewon does NOT restart by itself in normal mode and remains running in this diagnostic mode.
  • Power off the Ewon and power it on again to reboot the unit in a normal mode. As described before, the Ewon returns to its default COM parameters and factory IP addresses (such as LAN 10.0.0.53) after this level 2 reset is performed.

Let’s review what you’ve tested so far. You’ve tried two separate SIM cards, both verified to be active, as well as two Flexy 205 base units. You mention two modems, so were those installed in each of the Flexys? The modem firmware is fully updated, and setup failed the same way in a place with very strong cellular reception.

You are correct on all points noted above. I don’t believe I have tried all possible combinations of SIM cards, modems and base units, but enough to try noticing a pattern or issue.

I did try a reset on at least of the base units (the one that had an existing configuration) and the other base unit had never been configured. I can try again with both, but it will be later today when I can be assured of a good signal.

Interestingly, when the wizard gets to a certain point, the signal LEDs drop out, even in the location with the good signal, and eventually they will come back. I also noticed today, when checking and updating the modem firmware, the modem information was completely blank sometimes. It seemed to coincide with the signal LEDs going out.

Are the SIM cards you’re using from HMS, direct from AT&T, or from another source? What APN are you using when configuring them?

I don’t think the LEDs going out or the modem information being blank are necessarily cause for concern. These things can happen when the modem resets and re-initializes, which happens during the Internet wizard.

The SIM cards are direct from AT&T and one of them has worked prior to this current exercise. The other SIM is newly activated but has not been placed into service.

Just to cover our bases and make sure everything is being set up correctly, can you share the APN you’re using with these SIM cards?

As I typically do for the AT&T SIM cards and the newer eWON firmware, when the wizard reaches that step I select “AT&T” and leave the default APN selection “Broadband” unchanged.

Although we have always successful used Broadband as the APN for the AT&T SIM cards I also tried “m2m.com.attz” but that wouldn’t even let the wizard fully complete (got stuck on a step referencing a PIN).

Just to muddy the waters, here’s the modem information on a Flexy 205 base with a 4G modem card and an AT&T SIM card, that has been working fine here at the same location I’ve been trying to get the other two Flexys working, and it shows v. 20.00.505 firmware:

Can you submit a ticket to our support portal?

https://support.hms-networks.com/

If possible, I’d like to schedule a TeamViewer session so we can go through the setup process and see where errors are coming up.

Yes, I will submit a ticket. I am available for a TeamViewer session anytime next week (w/o 5/23). Thank you.,

I have just now (5/23/22 @ 12:40 pm) submitted a ticket on the support portal.

AT&T!!

Our company uses a third-party management portal for the cellular accounts and I have learned the status on that portal can lag from the actual status with AT&T. Our AT&T account has some sort of trigger that will automatically cancel a number if it doesn’t appear on a couple billing cycles, and at least the SIM card that had worked before fell victim to this trigger and was cancelled. We had it reactivated and all is well. SMH :upside_down_face:

Thanks for helping verify nothing was amiss with the device.

Thanks for the update! Glad things are working properly now.