Flexy: UDP from LAN to VPN

Hi Support.
I’ve an eWON installed in a customer’s site to give remote support. The PLC connected to the eWON can be enabled to send UDP packets for monitoring purposes to the requesting PC connected via VPN but at the moment I cannot receive them. I’ve searched around but I haven’t found a solution. Could you point me in the direction?
Regards,
Davide

Hi Mike,

The ewon is opening a connection though the vpn and adding a route to your PC’s routing tabe for your PC to reach the LAN of the ewon. For your usecase it sounds like the PLC sends out broadcast UDP messages for the PC to pick up. These generally do not travel though a VPN tunnel. They also cause alot of extra data you dont want traveling though a VPN. We do have an option to enabled the ewon to forward this traffic but keep in mind it will use more of your VPN data.

You can try following these directions to see if it helps with your PLC’s udp data. PLC discovery through Talk2M (windows.net)

Deryck

Hi Deryck,
thank you for having answered.
The PLC’s manufacturer told me the UDP transmission is done toward the PC’s IP address (so shouldn’t be broadcast or multicast) but I can try enabling that feature. I just have a couple of question. Is it possible that after this change I can’t no longer reach the Flexy? How can I check the Flexy’s firmware version from remote?

Regards,
Davide

Ok. I’ve found how to get the firmware version but now there’s a new problem: the only device on which I could make some test is an eWON 2005CD with version EW_11_3s0 so it isn’t suitable to make the test. The one I need to enable for UDP transmission is not connected at the moment and I will try when the customer will connect it to the network but I still need to clear the doubt about the risk of losing connectivity: that device is about 3,000 km from here and no one there could give me support in case the eWON should become unreachable.
Davide

Hi @deryck_hms,
I have solved: after having disabled the Plug’n route feature I’m receiving the monitoring UDP packets.

Regards,
Davide

Hi @mikelyzard ,

Thanks for following up. If you disabled plug’n route. you will need the LAN devices you want to access remotely to have the ewon set as the gateway.

If the ewon is still online you can access it via the VPN IP still. If it is not online it will need to be accessed locally.