Flexy went offline temporarily

Hey guys, trying to investigate why my eWON went offline this morning. It went offline around 2AM and came back around 10AM. It’s on a cellular connection that’s been stable for years at this point.

I tried to look in the logs but there seem to be so many events it only goes back to just before 6AM… I tried to take a backup but it was over 50MB and eventually eBuddy gave me an error (after like 20 minutes of it fetching the backup). So instead I’m attaching the events log.
Events.htm (229.5 KB)

If you want to look at it yourselves you can login here:

[moved to staff note]

My educated guess is that the unit seemed to be having trouble with the modem card itself. What do you think?

I agree with your educated guess. Looking at your event file, the great majority of the messages are generic errors related to a faulty Internet connection, with a batch of modem-specific errors at the end. It looks like the modem may have had an issue causing the connection to drop, then several hours of trying and failing to reconnect, then communication with the modem itself had some problems that caused the Ewon to reset the modem and reconnect.

I tried connecting to see if I was able to capture a backup, but the device was offline. Do you know how long it stayed up before going back down? This might suggest that the modem is starting to fail. If you can get on site, I would be interested in seeing someone try to power down the device, remove and reseat the modem (possibly into a different slot), and also capture a backup locally since that should succeed even if the remote transfer isn’t working well. That will give us a bigger picture of what the device is doing.

I’ve been connected to it all morning… Did I give you the wrong credentials?

xxx
xxx [moved to staff note]
xxx

There’s only one eWON on there and it’s been online since 10AM eastern today.

Thanks, I think someone else was connected earlier. I was able to connect this time. I tried to capture a backup but eventually stopped the transfer when it hit 150MB. It looks like your device is set to log VPN events extremely verbosely, which is filling the realtime log with a large volume of debug data. Is this intentional? If not, I recommend carrying out the following steps:

1. Navigate to Setup → System → Communication → Networking → VPN Connection → Global
  2. Change the dropdown “Diagnosis level” to Low, then click Update at the bottom to save the change
  3. Reboot the device

It’s unclear if this contributed to the device going offline, but given it caused the realtime log to swell to at least 100MB with dozens of messages logged every second, I think it’s likely. After disabling this level of diagnostic logging and rebooting to apply the change and clear the realtime log, let us know if you run into any further disconnections.