For Tim, VPN connection lost

MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (470 KB)

systemLogs-20190610T132238.zip (85.5 KB)

Hey Carl,

I’m wondering if maybe it’s running into issues with the code. Do you know how often it is losing its connection and if it would be possible to run the device for a little bit without the code running to see if it’s still disconnecting?

Hi Tim,

Its losing its connection every few hours.

Carl

If the devices connected to the eWON aren’t going to be on at the end of the day, would it be possible to turn off the code for a little while and see if it kept disconnecting throughout the night?

Will do!

Hi Tim,

I removed the script and let it run throughout the night. This morning I saw a “No active connection” message but no lost connection message. Why is the connection lost?

Carl

Wait just to clarify, do you mean that the device is showing offline in eCatcher or that the vpn connection dropped out briefly?

Tim,

I restarted eCatcher and it ran for an hour, see attached for error messages. Please advise why this is happening even when the script is removed.

Carl

Is there anybody else on the account that may have kicked you off to take a look at the device?

I’ll check

Hi Tim,

Under I/O servers menu there is a selection for ABLOGIX is this really the AB Ethernet/IP protocol.

Thanks

Carl

Hi Carl,

the ABlogix should for the Rockwell/Allen Bradley connections and the PLC area should give you a rough idea on how to poll these based on which type of device you’re connecting with

https://websupport.ewon.biz/support/product/flexy-plc-area/plc-area-1

Hi Tim,

I am using an Eaton XC-303 PLC, how would I pass tag data to the eWon.

Thanks

Carl

Hi Carl,

Tim is on Vacation today but I should be able to help explain the PLC support on the Flexy.

The IO servers are not generic protocol Clients/Masters and are designed to work with specific PLC’s. We have support for Allen-Bradly/Rockewell, Hitachi, Mitsubishi, Omron, Schneider, Siemens PLC’s. Unfortunately we do not have support for Eaton PLC’s. You might be able to use the modbus support on the Flexy to access data. I was not able to find any info on the XC-303 having modbus TCP server support. You might be required to set the Flexy up to be a Modbus Server and allow the PLC to read and write data.

You can find more info on the Modbus support of the Flexy at the link below but let me know if you have any questions.

https://websupport.ewon.biz/support/product/flexy-plc-modbus/modbus-1

Regards,
Deryck

Hi Deryck,

I want to pass 1000 plus tags from the Eaton plc to the eWon how would I do that using ModBus. Is there an app note for this? I don’t see this covered in the HMS documentation.

Regards

Carl

Hi Carl,

1000 tags could be a bit much depending on what you are doing with them. You might need to test this with your setup to verify that the flexy can read all the tags and take any actions on them that you require.

To set yo the ewon to read these tags you will first need to setup what is called the modbus Server on the flexy. The name is a bit misleading as it is really a modbus client. This configured the ewon to read modbus registers from modbus servers/slaves and where you configure the IP addresses and Node ID for the devices. You will need to specify the IP address and then enable the topic for that modbus device. If you need to read data from more then 3 modbus device you can specify the IP address at the tag level. We will get to this part next.

Once that is setup you will need to configure the tags on the flexy.
This is done from the Tags>values page with setup mode enabled.

In the Create Tag window you need to give the tag a name Select Modbus as the server and the specify the address. You can also pick the topic which will use that IO servers topic info such as the Node id and IP address or as previously mentioned you can specify the node and IP address here. You can also setup alarms and logging from this page too.

Where this can be tedious to manage all with in the webpage you can also FTP off the TAG configuration file and edit this in excel.

There is also a community built tag tool . There is a link on this thread to download it. Where can I find the eWON TAG GENERATOR file

Deryck