Future support for support TLS or SFTP

Is there future support for support for TLS or SFTP while using FTP

Good question - I will look into that for you. Keep in mind that if you use the T2M VPN connection the FTP connection is encrypted in the VPN tunnel.

Also keep in mind, if the Ewon is coming up on internal network scans, the default firewall setting may have been changed (Setup > System > Storage > Edit COM cfg > WANItfProt). The default setting (1) causes the Ewon to discard all incoming traffic on the WAN. The only way that you can use FTP is by connecting over the VPN or directly connecting to the LAN.

I have submitted your question to the Ewon product manager.

Kyle

The product manager was requesting some more information about your use case:

Could you share the name of the company who requested FTPs .Is this requested for their data collection that they would like to send via ftp to a dedicated server ? or what is their use case?

I also have a requirement for SFTP. Client data is sent currently using PUTFTP but the receiver is demanding a security upgrade. The data is Resource Consent compliance data.

I’ve passed on your feedback to the product manager. Thank you for letting us know!

Hello Kyle,

I have the same issue here as Grant.

Kind regards

Can you tell me a little bit about your use case so I can pass it along to the product manager? This will help me lobby for this service to be added. Specifically she was asking if this is requested for data collection to a dedicated server? or just for regulations? etc… Thank you!

Hello,

Yes, for sure.
We are using the flexy to collect messages and process data. This files are sent back from customer site with the task scheduler and putftp.
FTPS is requsted by customer IT and also by our companies IT.
Currently we bypass it by using the customers network and then using a script for the transfer.

Kind regards

Thank you! I’ve passed along your request to the product manager.

Kyle

Hello Kyle,

today a customor of ours also requested a transition to SFTP.

Case:
We use a eWON 2005CD with scripts to send collected data using PUTFTP command (script) to an remote FTP-server of the customor.

It is a matter of time before other customers will ask the same (we have a mix of the “old” 2005CD’s and “new” flexy 201’s out in the field).

Kind regards,

Wouter

Thank you for the input. I’ve passed it on to the appropriate party.

Hi team!
Is the SFTP option coming anytime soon?
It would be a very straightforward way to collect data for many simple cases.
Thank you

Probably not until next year… you might want to drop your local Ewon team a line by creating a case at support.hms-networks.com and let them know that it’s important to you.

1 Like