HMS-EN2MB-R on RSLogix5000

Studio 5000 Logix Designer has a nice I/O Configuration Ethernet Module for the HMS-EN2MB-R. We have some customers with older Compact Logix controllers that cannot be programmed with Logix Designer and can only be programmed with RSLogix5000 V.20, which only has modules for AB7072 and AB76/78/79xx-F.

Is there a way to create a HMS-EN2MB-R module for RSLogix 5000?

No, you need to use the Add-On profile with the HMS-EN2MB-R. However, the Add-on profile will work with RSLogix 5000 and newer. If it’s not already installed, you can download it here.

And like you said, if you can’t use the Add-On Profile, you can get the same functionality with the AB7072.

Hi Kyle,

You and Deryck helped me back in January configuring two AB7072 gateways for Modbus RTU communication on this same job at Trademark Nitrogen in Tampa, FL. Thursday, I am installing this HMS-EN2MB-R to communicate Modbus TCP/IP to poll 210 holding registers from a Machine Savers vibration system set up as a Modbus Server. See attached network layout.

The HMS-EN2MB-R configuration manager allows me to configure a Modbus Server, but is unable to connect once applied.

I’ll be in my office all day Wednesday. Please give me a call if you get a chance.

Thanks!

Regards,
INDUSTRY ELECTRIC DESIGN, INC.

Don Trawick

11317228-E08.pdf (245 KB)

Kyle or Deryck or someone from support,

I really need to be talked through configuring my HMS-EN2MB-R today, as I’m supposed to install it tomorrow. The instructions don’t seem to be complete and the unit is not working.

Please call asap.

Thank you!

Regards,

Don Trawick

Hi Don,

The instructions are pretty in depth if you are looking at the correct ones. They go through the whole process step by step, starting on page 17 (section 4.5) of the User Manual.

Can you explain what you mean by you can’t connect?

When you go into the Transaction Monitor and click ‘Start monitoring’ what do you see? Can you share a screenshot?

Are you able to communicate with your Modbus TCP server using a Modbus scanner like CAS Modbus Scanner or Modscan?

If you want us to take a look at your setup, please make sure that you have Teamviewer installed and give us a call at 312-893-5636.

Kyle,

Your phone call-in service put me on perpetual hold, so I am now in your call back queue.

Please call me back when you get a chance.

Thanks!

Regards,

Don Trawick

Kyle,

Your support team never called me back.

I have a small window tomorrow to get this thing working.

Please call me asap.

Thanks!

Regards,

Don Trawick

Hi Don,

Regarding our conversation, here are the Modbus client settings:

Page 43 of the user manual.

The linking device will have an Ethernet/IP address and an address for the Modbus TCP client. They can either be on the same or different networks.

You mentioned using BOOTP to set the IP Address. Did you try the IPConfig Utility? It’s much easier.

Hi Kyle,

I have everything installed and configured. Thanks for the info.

I am not seeing anything on the Transaction Monitor. I am using some Modbus TCP client and server programs to test both ends before I call you. Probably around 1:30 pm.

Thanks again for you help!

Regards,

Don Trawick
Ph 678-617-7507
Fax 678-828-5506
www.iedelectric.com

Okay Kyle, I’m ready to work with you, and I’m on hold again.

Please call me when you can.

Thanks!

Regards,

Don Trawick

Kyle,

Please call me back. My time is now running out.

Thanks!

Regards,

Don Trawick

Hi Don,

We need to try updating the firmware on this linking device. Can you connect a USB cable between the device and your PC? I’ve already downloaded the Firmware Manager and the firmware.

Kyle

Okay, I’ll connect the cable now. You can call me back now, I’m out of the meeting.

Thanks!

Regards,

Don Trawick

Solved. There was another device using 192.168.1.10 which the Modbus Client was trying to use.

Kyle,

Thanks again for all your help today!

I am now working with Leo Bach (Machine Savers) on getting his Modbus Server to work at IP 192.168.1.9.

It is not working yet, and the only difference I see is that he had me change the Anybus Server port from 502 to 10502. The Anybus accepted it, but it is not working. No data.

Do you think the issue may be with the new port assignment?

You can call me anytime this evening.

Thanks!

Regards,

Don Trawick

You should be able to update the port on the Anybus to 10502, but I would at least try setting it back to 502 and set the server to 502 as well to see if that works.

Leo,

I can’t get the Anybus to work on port 10502, even with the simulator, even though the PLC accepted the configuration.

I think we need to use 502. I know it’s some work for you, but I can’t think of anything else.

Regards,

Don Trawick

Does it work with port 502?

Hi Kyle,

Actually, it works just fine on port 10502. I just forgot about the final step of saving it to the unit, that is why it was still functioning on port 502.

Everything is working great now. Thanks again so much for all your help!

Regards,

Don Trawick

Great - thanks for the update!