HMS-EN2SE-R Comm Lock Up

Hello,

I’m currently using a HMS-EN2SE-R to read engine data over Modbus RS-422. There are two clients reading the same data (one including the HMS-EN2SE-R and another is a display for the engine). The HMS-EN2SE-R module reads the data over Modbus fine, but after a random amount a time from a couple hours to a few days the communication will lock up and we can’t read any more data from the server whether its from the HMS-EN2SE-R or the other display client. We then have to power down the engine control system and reboot to get communication back again.

If only one client is connected at a time then we never lose communication. The HMS-EN2SE-R replaced an old PLC-5 card that read the same data, and there were never any issues with communication loss with both of the clients running at the same time. I don’t have access to the old settings of that card to see if anything unique was going on there.

The only settings I tried to change in the HMS-EN2SE-R were the minimum time between broadcasts and the update time from one second to three. It seemed to have made it better, but there are mixed results Are there any settings I should change to solve this issue? This is happening on three different set ups so its not linked to just one installation.

Thanks,
Blake

Did you happen to note the status of the LEDs on the Anybus after this happens?

It sounds like you have the Anybus and the Display configured as masters (multi-master), which is not supported by Modbus, so this is probably causing the problem. Is it possible to configure the display as a server/slave? Then you could read from the engine and write to the display.

If not, you could try enabling the Module Reset function:

Thanks for the help Kyle. I wasn’t physically there when it happened so I’m not sure about the LEDs. Not sure the module reset would help since we have to restart the engine control system to get it back up and running.

Could I use generic data mode without changing any other settings? I can’t change the display since its locked behind oem software that I do not have.

Thanks,
Blake

MG2 WECS.cfg (16.0 KB) MG2 WECS.cfx (41.7 KB)

Here’s are the config files as well

No, generic mode would require you to write all the commands manually instead of simply using Modbus commands. Does the system support generic ASCII commands or just Modbus?