HMS EN2SE-R configuration download issue

We have a problem when trying to download a configuration to a 2ENSE-R. Having said that, I am assuming that once the download is complete LED’s 1 and 2 should be solid green. If they are not solid green we don’t get communication. We are using Rockwell 5000 v 24 and v 28 to send printer strings through the EN2SE-R.

After typing the configuration into the Configuration Manager I connect to the EN2SE-R through an ethernet cable; the bottom of the screen shows ‘Config Valid’ and "Config Line’ with green indicators but ‘Checksum Valid’ shows a red indicator. I click the Download button and watch the progress indicator and then watch Led’s 1 & 2 briefly flash red before returning to both Leds 1 & 2 flashing. Clearly the configuration has reached the EN2SE-R and it has went through some type of reboot.

We have several of these in use with the same configuration and they have all been difficult to initially get working (Led’s 1 and 2 solid green). In the past I have just kept re-trying downloading the configuration and then sooner or later it seems to work but I never know why. What am I missing?

Thanks for your help.

Those lights blinking green indicate there is no connection to the PLC. I would expect you will also see a fault in the PLC (warning triangle). If you go into the connection tab in the module properties of the HMS-EN2SE-R it should give you fault information. Can you please send a screenshot of this? Or perhaps just copy the exact code + message?

Nick, Sorry that I am new at this, do I correctly assume from your comment that it is impossible to use the HMS Configuration tool to download a configuration to the EN2SE-R directly from a Rockwell 5000 v 28.011 program on a laptop without being cable-connected to the PLC?

Also can you give me an explanation of the red “Checksum valid” indicator at the bottom of the Configuration tool. I have read much of hms-hmsi-27-354.pdf but have not found answers to either question.

Also please see the inserted screen shot of the Properties\Connection page. Thanks!

It is not impossible to use the tool without a PLC, but if the EN2SE-R does not have a connection to a PLC then the blinking LEDs 1 and 2 makes sense. You will find the description of the LEDs on page 12.

I believe the Checksum light is supposed to indicate if checksum errors within the Ethernet connection to the unit from the software are taking place. However this does not really mean that the Ethernet connection and download is not working properly. I am going to request an official description of that from our headquarters.

The download is completing correct? Can you tell me what the other LEDs are indicating?

Nick, again thanks for your help with my ‘newbie’ questions.

The EN2SE-R installation sheet indicates that:
LED1 blinking green: “Not configured, or scanner in idle mode”
LED2 blinking green: “Online, no connection established”
So my interpretation for LED1 is that evidently the EN2SE-R MUST be connected by ethernet cable to the target PLC, otherwise the scanner will be considered “in idle state”. Seemingly the “scanner” mentioned here is a component or function of the EN2SE-R.
My interpretation of LED2 is that evidently “Online” means that the EN2SE-R is connected to ‘something’ by Ethernet cable but connection with the target PLC is not established.

Do my interpretations need correction?

And yes, when the EN2SE-R and a pc with the Rockwell PLC program are connected to the target PLC by ethernet cable LEDs 1 and 2 are solid green, but when the EN2SE-R is connected to ONLY the pc LEDs 1 and 2 blink green. Evidently I falsely assumed that the solid green LED 1 and 2 are an indication of a successful configuration download.

Thanks again.

Will, here is a little more explanation on this,

“So my interpretation for LED1 is that evidently the EN2SE-R MUST be connected by ethernet cable to the target PLC, otherwise the scanner will be considered “in idle state”. Seemingly the “scanner” mentioned here is a component or function of the EN2SE-R.”

A “Scanner” is the term for an Ethernet/IP master that is defined in the ODVA specification for the CIP protocols. So if there is not a class 1 (process data) connection set up that is what it means by “Not configured, or scanner in idle mode”. Either the PLC is not configured/connected or it is in offline mode.

“My interpretation of LED2 is that evidently “Online” means that the EN2SE-R is connected to ‘something’ by Ethernet cable but connection with the target PLC is not established.”

This is more what the link light is for, LED2 is specifically saying there is no class 1 process data connection.

“Evidently I falsely assumed that the solid green LED 1 and 2 are an indication of a successful configuration download”

Although LED 1 and 2 have nothing to do with the configuration software connection and downloading I do understand how you might come to the conclusion you did. Many times words like “connection” and “online” are thrown around and it can seem like the context is not specific to Ethernet/IP (as a protocol).

Thanks!

Nick, Sorry, I have another newbie question: I see how to create an error log, set the log buffer size, and start/stop logging but I haven’t found how to actually view the log as shown in section 14.2 of the User Manual. Please point out the log-viewing control that I am over-looking. Thanks!,

Will,

When you click start logging the linking device is logging all transactions on the serial network. In continuous mode the log is fills up the buffer and then uses a first in first out method. To get the log to show up you just select stop logging and the log window will appear. Using log until full the log window will show up once the buffer is full.

I have a very similar problem.

When connected to the EN2SE-R through the computer, I can easily set IP address, make configuration changes, all the fun stuff. When I try to communicate with it through the PLC across the backplane, I cannot establish a connection.

I have a Module Fault
(Code 16#0009) Module Configuration Rejected: Parameter Error.
Additional Fault Code 16#0000

I was hoping to find some way to reset to factory defaults and try again from the beginning, but couldn’t find that, so I have turned to support here now for assistance hopefully.