HMS-EN2SE-R to a SLC 5/03 DF1 serial port

We are trying to get comms to from the HMS-EN2SE-R to a SLC 500 (5/03) DF1 protocol 9-pin Dshell RS232 serial port.

Is there some setup guide for this application? (or similiar to Df1 allen bradley device)

I dont know if the en2se is a DCE ot DTE so we have tried 2 - 2; 3-3 and also 2-3; 3-2 configurations on the wriing.

we have tried full duplex but then switched to half duplex cus looks like the linking device can only do DF1 half duplex

the SLC defaults to node id of 1 when in 1/2 duplex. But what is the node id of the linking device? does it matter for a one to one connection?

baud is 9600, n, 8, 1 CRC no handshaking on both ends

then bit confusing on the register setup … just trying to get a test of reading N7:0 (integer) … so on linking device it is two bytes then ??? file 7? starting 0 length 2

We have beeing using the node monitor expecitng to see the value of 13 but always see two boxes with zero.

on the bottom of the config tool we get two green status states for config? and something else but a red indicator on the checksum valid.

HELP :slight_smile:

Hi Bill,

Have you read the chapter on DF1 in the User Manual (page 58)?

The wiring diagram is on page 102.

You are correct, for DF1, the EN2SE can only act as master and only supports half-duplex.

The checksum invalid means the config file doesn’t match with the PLC config and you need to download to the PLC.

There is an update for the device on the Product Page.

We have a video on configuring the DF1 master mode here that might be helpful. It is for the Communicator which is virtually identical to the EN2SE except that it has a separate config tool instead of the AOP built-in to RSLogix, so you can disregard the Eth/IP setup part.

Let me know if this helps or if you have other questions.

Kyle

running frm 4.07 (what it shipped with) … on the Update Firmware page, the Firmware Download is Greyed out. Looking in the manual on page 34 … that image shows the Firmware Download button greyed out as well. How do you get it to be “not greyed out”

You don’t update the firmware using that page.

The instructions are in the Firmware Update Package in the ReadMe file.

The firmware is automatically updated by the Add On Profile.

LOL thanks.

I don’t know what I was thinking that firmware would be downloaded by the “Firmware Download” button.

So we use the “Factory Restore” button underneath the “Firmware Download:” button to change the firmware.

My bad for not reading the readme.txt with the firmware zip. But common you have to see where this was not intuitive. LOL