HTTP Port Forwarding

Kyle,

1. Thanks for the info. I think I mentioned this in an earlier email but the main reason we switched to the Cosy was because we thought the connection issues we were having were related to the built-in switch in the Cisco VPN router. The Cisco had a 4-port switch and sometimes the HMI would lose connection to the PLC and the guys at the location could get everything back communicating by power cycling the router. Sometimes moving the Ethernet cables to different ports would achieve the same thing.

2. Okay, so all weekend all I have occasionally tried to connect to the HMI web interface and it has connected every time and I was able to see data in the HMI indicating that it is communicating to the PLC. However this morning after changing the ProxyMaxSocks to [100] I rebooted the Cosy and now my HMI has lost connection to the PLC. It’s strange because I can still access the HMI web interface and I can even make changes to the HMI configuration and download to it but the data connection between the HMI and the PLC is broken. This same thing happened last Friday but after 2 or 3 hours the connection was restored. Maybe that is what you are seeing in the logs.

3. To answer your questions, as I related in item 2 we have had issues with the data connection between the HMI and PLC. Not sure how to answer about the Modbus TCP because to my knowledge there is nothing in the HMI or PLC that is using Modbus. The PLC and HMI are both connected to the Cosy LAN switch. The PLC we are using is an Allen-Bradley Micrologix 1400, Model 1766-L32AWA. The HMI is a RedLion G3, Model G306A000.

4. I was wanting to mention another issue which I believe I have a solution for but wanted to get your take anyway. The control panel where all this hardware is located is in a mobile water system. So being a mobile system the power is not on constantly and thus when the trailer is moved to a customer site the power is reconnected and operational checks are done to verify everything is working properly. One of the things I noticed about the Cosy is that if it is powered up at the same time as the cellular modem it does not connect to Talk2M and will not unless it is power cycled after the modem is connected to the cell service. So what I plan to do is connect the power to the Cosy through an output on the PLC and delay it powering up for a minute or two to allow time for the cellular service to be fully operational.

5. I have attached a current backup. It may look similar to the last one I sent due to the broken data connection between the PLC and HMI. If I see that the connection becomes reestablished I will do another backup and sent it to you.

Randy

MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (175 KB)

Hi Randy,

About the device not connecting to the internet when first powered on, it could be an issue between the Cosy and the modem, but usually the Cosy will connect as soon as an internet connection is Restored though. Your idea to delay powering on the Cosy will work.

There are some strange errors in the logs and I’d like to take a closer look at the device if we can arrange a Teamviewer session or if you can provide a temp account I can use. Please let me know if that’s possible this afternoon.

Thanks,

Kyle

How would I set up a temporary account?

You can just go into the Flexy and under Setup < Users, add a new user and password and send me the info. It will be kept confidential and once I’m done you can delete the account.

This is a Cosy, not a Flexy. In our Talk2M account we had previously set up an Ewon support user login but have since deactivated it. Maybe it would be easier to do the Teamviewer.

Right, my mistake. Let me know when you are available, we are going to be done for today in less than an our, but will be back at 8:30 AM Estern.

Let’s plan on doing it in the morning if that works for you.

Randy

Kyle,

I may have discovered my issue or part of my issue. There is a setting in the Red Lion HMI called “Comms Delay”. It was set to 0 ms. The manual states in regards to this setting, “The Comms Delay option specifies a delay that will be inserted between any two comms transactions for this device. It is useful when working with remote devices that are unable to keep up with Crimson’s performance, or when a lower comms priority is to be given to a device.” I changed this setting to 1000 ms and I immediately started getting data from the PLC displayed on the HMI. I have attached another backup file. Let me know if you see a difference.

Randy

MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (173 KB)

Randy,

The logs look a lot better. Those errors are gone and the only errors since it last rebooted yesterday were a couple for unsupported S7 commands at around 2 a.m.

Let me know how it goes today and if there is anything else I can do to help. Also, please make sure the device has a very strong password as it’s accessible from the web and not just through the VPN server.

Kyle

Kyle,

Sounds good. I did want to follow up once more about the issue with the Cosy not connecting to the internet through the cell modem if both are powered on at the same time. Yesterday someone disconnected the power to the control panel so I had to go and reconnect it. As expected the Cosy would not connect to the internet until I cycled power to it after the modem showed it was connected to the cell service. I actually had to cycle power a second time before it connected. I had mentioned in an earlier email that I planned to address the issue by delaying the powering up of the Cosy by connecting the power through an output on the PLC. Is there any setting in the Cosy that can help with this issue? Is this typical? I had done an earlier test to see if the Cosy would eventually connect but it never did even after several hours. I still had to cycle power. Any thoughts?

Randy

Yes, there should be a “watchdog” running that will restart the WAN port if there is no internet connection. It may actually be due to the modem. Can you try setting the IP address as static, using the same settings for default gateway, subnet mask, and DNS that are currently set and see if that makes a difference?

Kyle,

Can you point me to where these settings are in the Cosy configuration?

Randy

Those network settings can be changed if you run the Internet Wizard, top right hand corner of screen.

Kyle,

Changing to static WAN seems to have fixed the issue with connecting to the internet without having to power cycle the Cosy. Everything seems to be working properly now. So I have just installed another Cosy in a different system and I can’t connect to the HMI or get alarm emails from the HMI. I have attached a backup file. Will you check it and see if there are any issues? Just to let you know, I thought I would save time by restoring the backup for the working Cosy to the new one and then go in and change the IP addresses. Was that a bad idea?

Randy

MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (53 KB)

Hi Randy,

It’s not a bad idea to restore from a backup, but you need to make the device backup before connecting to Talk2M because the devices need to have unique identities in the config files or it will cause connection problems.

Looking at your settings though, I can see you need to change WANItfProt from ‘1’ to ‘2’ so try that and see if that does it.

Kyle

Kyle,

So I’m trying to get everything working for this Cosy installation. This is my second location replacing a Cisco router with a Cosy. The first location where I installed the Cosy is still working fine. For the second location I can connect to the HMI web interface and I can connect to the Micrologix PLC. The issue I am still having is that I am not getting emails from the Red Lion HMI. Originally we thought it was related to the NATltf setting. I have tried setting it at 2 and 3 but neither seems to make a difference. Both Cosy locations have identical hardware and the same settings as best as I can tell. I have attached a backup. Can you check and see if you seen any errors or anything that might prevent the forwarding of emails?

Thanks,

Randy

MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (68.5 KB)

Hey Randy,

I took a look at the logs and configs and you need to make these changes:

1. Check network settings on HMI and make sure that the default gateway is set to be the Cosy’s LAN address (10.0.37.254)
  2. Change ‘FwrdToWAN’ from 0 to 1
  3. Change ‘NATItr’ from 3 to 2.

Then reboot and give it another shot.

Thanks!

Kyle

Kyle,

Thanks for the info. All seems to be working now. It seems my idea of restoring a backup from the other Cosy did not work. I thought I could do this and then just change the IP addresses. However it seems some of the settings did not carry over. I suppose I just need to make a list of the proper settings and then just enter them each time.

Randy

You wouldn’t want to restore a backup from a device which had already run the VPN/Talk2m Wizard, because each device has unique keys, but you could change the settings you wanted before running the Wizard and then back up. You can also add your tags or settings to the config files (txt files) using FTP.

Topic closed due to inactivity.