Intelligent Actuator (IAI) SEL Type Controller Connection via Cosy 131

I’m trying to connect to an IAI (Intelligent Actuator) controller (SEL Type) via a Cosy 131.

With most industrial controllers, the PC is the master (client) and the PLC/Controller is the slave (server). In those situations the slave is waiting for a connection and it doesn’t matter where the master connects from (what the master’s IP address is).

However, with IAI, the IAI device is the Client and it is pre-programmed (via USB/Serial) to have the IP Address of the device that is going to program it (and the port number). Then when you want to program over Ethernet, you launch a server on your PC that waits for connections from the client (the controller) and you can then program the controller.

Here are the setup directions:

Specifically section 5.3

So for instance, if my Cosy has an address of 192.168.3.200 and the IAI controller has an address of 192.168.3.100, if I was at the client, I could set my IP address to 192.168.3.101 and have pre-programmed the IAI Controller to connect to 192.168.3.101.

Is it possible to get a static address that the IAI controller can talk to via the eWon Cosy 131?

I don’t believe this is possible, but I thought I would ask.

Just a couple questions:

Are you able to ping the Client (Controller) from the Server (PC)?
To verify, the connection is via Ethernet and not MODBUS?

As it stands now, we are leaning it to not be possible. We are going to do few tests on our end, and we will follow up with you tomorrow.

Yes I am able to ping the device.

No it is not MODBUS. In fact I don’t know what protocol it’s talking, and it’s at a very high port number of 64611.

So normally when connecting, my PC launches an application that opens up port 64611 and waits for the controller to connect. Then I can pick that controller and start communicating. But through an eWon it does not seem like I can get any connection.

Hello,

After discussion with our teams. We found that the protocol the IAI requires will not work through the eWON and eCatcher. The issue is that the VPN address is not a static address. Therefore, the VPN address will change between sessions.

Unfortunately, we do have the functionality to set the VPN address to a static address for the IAI to connect to consistently.

Topic closed due to inactivity.