Internet access behind cosy 4G

Hi,

I have limited knowledge about networking in general so excuse me if the questions are simple.

If I use a PLC along with the eWon cosy 4G , can I give the PLC access to send and recieve messages from internet? I’ve read that you can but what about security for the LAN side of the eWon if we give internet access? And how do I access the PLC from another place? Thank you

/Tim

Hi,

You can give your plc internet access outside of connecting to it through the vpn. Usually this is done if the PLC needs to send out an alarm email. Note this opens the LAN side of the Cosy to the internet. Here is a document on the settings that need to me changed.

As for conenctign to the PLC from another place you can do that by connecting to the cosy using eCatcher.

Thanks for the response.

1. Opening up the LAN side, does this expose the LAN side to security risks?
  2. Can I connect to the PLC without eCatcher if I open up the LAN side? If so, how?
  3. I wan’t to do this to be able to use MQTT to a cloud broker. Meaning I have to both send and recieve information. Will I be able to recieve transmission or only send?

/Tim

Hi Tim,

If you open up the LAN to internet access you are bypassing the security of the cosy. If you are trying to connect to the PLC via the internet besides using eCatcher then that would rely on the PLC having the ability to be access remotely if it has internet since the cosy would only be acting as a modem. If you are doing this for the purpose of using MQTT it is possible to do that on a flexy without having to open the LAN to the internet. This might be something worth talking to your distributor about.