Internet for service laptop and normal plc access from remote

Hi guys…

Like always, the title tells you not much of the story…

But today whilst onsite with out machine I got asked if I could get our laptops on the internet… well I googled if from my phone…

Found I needed to tweek a few settings, and set the iPaddress of the cozy as the gateway address…

The changes where…

• NatItf=2 (NatandTFonWAN)
• VPNRedirect = 0 (Allow traffic outside the VPN tunnel)
• FwrdToWAN = 1 (Forward LAN traffic to WAN)

So this was all good…

Now this led me into a new world… I can work on the machine lan… and then get info off the web… it was perfection

So I started a few checks and one thing I noticed was I was on an old version of the firmware… so with my new online skills, I got the tools , and upgraded the firmware… sorted…

Then knowing I’d made some changes I wanted to check I’d not lost the ability to connect into the plc or other hardware (we have a couple of Keyance camera controllers) so back at the hotel I tried to connect in…

And then it happened sad face … nothing… I can’t ping the plc, can’t see the cameras… ah… rubbish…

So what have I tried… we I’ve reset the values I changed… (so I believe)

I’ve even managed to do a reinstall of the firmware…

And I’ve tinkersd with every setting and even through all the wizards!,setups and anything else I can think of…

But nothing…

So I’m thinking how do I fix this?

Factory reset… but if I do that… how can I have both where I get my laptop online,and and can connect in remotely…

Hello,

You should be fine being on the latest firmware and allowing internet from the LAN. However one of the changes you are making in the settings is disabling our plug n, route feature. This removes the need to set a gateway on your LAN devices. See step 6 of the access internet guide for more details.

What this means is if you want to allow internet access on the LAN network you need to set the gateway address on the LAN devices. This is only required for the devices you want to access remotely. If you don’t have the gateway set you will not have access to the device remotely.

Over all I would recommend updating to the latest firmware at a minimum. If you want to have access to the internet set it up as you had before but then set a gateway the PLC and other devices you wish to remote into though the ewon.

Deryck

Thanks, so as I only need to get to the plc and the cameras, so setting the gateway address to match the cozy is easy, and I can do them tomorrow…

One extra thing I need to sort out is setting up the smtpmail relay server…

Thanks

Pb

Hello @Pad,

Yes you would be setting the PLC and Cameras gateways to the ewons LAN IP address.

In regards to the SMTP set up, it should be fairly straight forward. Here is the documentation on it while the screen shots are a little dated due to the recent FW 13 release the info is still valid.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Deryck

Hi again, ok, so now I’m back onsite I’m a little confused…

The cosy interface seems to not have the same configuration options,

Now I’ve got my laptop on the network, I can see the ewon but no web acess,

I tried to put the natlif, the vpn redirect, and fwdtowan as per the setting that worked, but that’s now not working…

So I’m thinking I’ll Do a factory reset and see what happens

Pb

fast forward 10 mins… and seems that maybe my testing and my inpatientness got the better of me…

it seams that i have got the internet passthrough working…

but i’m not sure i’ve got the remote connection functioning…

so i need to devise a testing method…

but for now i can carry on with the work i was here too do…

thanks

Hi,

For testing the connection you would want to be outside of the LAN. Here are the 3 options I can think of.

1. Connect your PC to the WAN side of the network and then remote into the LAN. If needed you can configure a second port to be on the WAN.
  2. If you need to use all the ports for the LAN devices you can use a hotspot to VPN in and test the LAN .
  3. Run eCatcher mobile on your phone and see if you have access to any of the devices.

In regards to the SMTP forwarding. I assumed you were using a Flexy, not a Cosy. What exactly are you expecting the Cosy to do? It has limited email capabilities, limited to only use our SMTP relay and only send alarms based off of the digital input. This feature also requires FW 13.0+ and configured from the DI config wizard.

Many moons have passed… and i’ve been away… moved house… and got back to work. … and the one thing i had hoped for… has well not happend. i was hoping the fairy would have fixed it…

so its like this… i’ve gone and got a new FTP service… and i’m testing it… and it works from my office… but i cant get is working through the Ewon …

now id like to know how the system works…

when you set the proxy for say Port 21 and it to send traffic to the ftp host, you would think that should just work… but seem not? i need to get this working… we are in a terrible state as we got sold this solution on the basis it worked… and i’m not getting any support to guide me through how it should really be set up … lots of oh, it should be easy… but nothing tangible…

thanks

Pb

@Pad

I do apologize that the FTP isn’t working however at this point I do not see anything in previous threads regarding FTP.

Can you elaborate, which device is originating the FTP connection? A device behind the eWON? Where is it making the FTP to? Internal to the network? On the internet?

Can you give me a clear overview of how things will be connected?

Are you trying to send port 21 data to a device behind the eWON?

A post was merged into an existing topic: FTP proxy