Internet for Service PC

Hi all,

I am trying to install an eWON cosy 131 router at my site along with a permanent service PC which requires internet access. After researching, I see 2 options to achieve this:

Option 1 - Enabling LAN forward to WAN by setting parameters by configuring parameters NATLTF = 2 and FWRDTOWAN = 1.

Is this option recommended for permanent install? My concern is if this will directly expose my PLC to the Internet. Does this method bypass the built-in security of eWON?

Option 2 - configure 2 WAN port to act as WAN Switch. Internet will connect to the first WAN port while service PC will connect to the second WAN port. PLC connects to LAN port.

I am unable to get this setup functioning. After configuring for 2 WAN and 2 LAN port, how should the service PC’s network address be configured? Should the Service PC be on the same network as the WAN or in the same network as LAN?

Thank you
Steven

@Steven963

Option 1 is going to be your best bet. Nothing will be directly exposed to the internet as it still remains behind both the eWON and the main network to where the eWON is installed. Additionally there are no inbound ports or traffic open to the connection so your PLC will be completely restricted in access still.

Hi Jordan,

Thank you for your response. Following Option 1, Do I need to configure the Gateway IP address on my PLC in order to allow actual remote access to PLC using eCatcher?

Thank you,
Steven

@Steven963

Yes, in fact, any device on the LAN of the eWON should have its gateway address pointing to the eWON LAN IP.

Additionally, you will need to specify DNS server addresses

Hi Jordan,

Thanks. What are ways that would allow me to only forward one LAN port to WAN instead of all 3?

Thank you,
Steven

@Steven963

Unfortunately you cannot allow a single port across. The eWON LAN switch does not have the level of management needed to allow a single port across.

7 posts were split to a new topic: Interent through Cosy