Load the CAN dbc file in Labview for USB-to-CAN V2 compact interface

Hello
I’m using a USB-to-CAN V2. i’ve installed VCI4 Labview addon on Win7. I’m using Labview 2014 SP1. I have found one example named VCIdemo.vi.
Is there a possibility to load the dbc file (vector company) and write dbc signals to USB-to-CAN V2 module?
Regards

Hi @BAYARDG,

I’m not sure exactly what you are looking to do here. What is the dbc file? We do have a Lab view add on and sdk info available on the dowloads page here: https://www.ixxat.com/support/file-and-documents-download/drivers

Deryck

Hello Deryck,

A DBC file is designed by Vector. Many automobile customers are programming the CAN ECU in Vector Canoe Project (http://socialledge.com/sjsu/index.php/DBC_Format). The main interest of DBC is to manage directly user fonction like (SWITCH_CAR_LIGHT=1) instead of writing Hex data. It is oriented to the user.
I’ve already download your addon but i don’t find the answer inside.
Vector and National Instruments Labview XNET driver are using a DBC database editor.
I thought it was the case for IXXAT too…

You will probably need to check with Vector to see if they support our VCI drivers.

Deryck

This is indeed a good question from @BAYARDG cause DBC-files are commonly used in the specification of CAN-buses. So I am looking for the same solution.

A generic solution which is converting raw CAN bytes to human readable values (not depending on the CAN hardware interface) would already be helpfull.

It is off course possible to develop it yourself but it will take a lot of time.

Hello @WillemR @BAYARDG ,

Discussing this with the development team it sounds like they might be working on a new VCI driver with this support. We are seeing if we can get a beta release available that I will be able to share.

Deryck

Dear @deryck_hms,

That is interesting to hear. It would be nice if we could get a beta release for testing so we can give you some feedback on the solution.

Willem

I don’t have much info on it now but once I do i will let you know.

Hello @WillemR,

Here is a release candidate for using DBC with the VCI drivers. https://fileshare.hms.se/www/fileexchange/main.cfm?container=y2sN2uR2NL6Um5g87X24XU89n57P5pv5kx2UW6rk4Y35C

This download will expire on 2020-03-07

Where this is a RC please provide any feedback on the release to help us improve the next release.

The examples could be found here:
“c:\Users\Public\Documents\HMS\Ixxat VCI 4.0\Samples\Fsl”

The manual is here:
“c:\Program Files\HMS\Ixxat VCI\Manual\VCI-C++Frame-and-Signal-API_en.pdf”

When the LabVIEW package is also installed the examples could be found here:
“c:\Users\Public\Documents\HMS\Ixxat® VCI LabVIEW…”

additional remarks from my colleague while testing.
Example:
“c:\Users\Public\Documents\HMS\Ixxat VCI 4.0\Samples\Fsl\src”

The Fibex Database has cycle times for transmit frames and starts transmission after program start. The CANdb Database has no cycle times and will send on press the ‘t’ key

LabVIEW: the CAN controller must initialized and started with canAnalyser Mini or a LabVIEW demo VI.

Deryck

@BAYARDG I want to include to make sure you receive an email.

Hello @deryck_hms,

Thanks for sharing, we will give it a try the coming weeks and keep you updated on our finding.

Thanks!

Hello @deryck_hms

I’m working within the same company as WillemR and trying to get things up and running.
My first experience with the RC drivers are good!
I tried the weather station demo and the interpretation of the CAN-bus looks nice!

But when I tried our own CAN-bus database I am getting stuck because it doesn’t send a extended identifier. Is this not possible in the current version in combination with a DBC file or do i do something wrong?

Sander

Hi,

Glad to hear it is working well. I have forwarded your feed back to the development team to see what can be done about extended IDs.

Regards,
Deryck

Hi @SanderH,

My colleague pointed out that extended frames do work but you need to make sure bit 31 of the identifier is set high. This was tested by changing the signals Wind and Rainfall to extened IDs 0x67 and 0x68.

Here is an updated database for the signal database.
_extID_Weatherstation.dbc (2.5 KB)

Thanks for the quick response in fact I was using a XML exported file from NI-XNET with the J1939 protocol. Now I have just imported a DBC file and it is working correctly.
Thanks for the great support!

Regards,
Sander

Hello @deryck_hms

The database is working fine for now thanks!

I have a functionality question, about combining the transmit and receive functionality. For the program that I am working on now, it is a must that there is a possibility that the program is receiving and transmitting. I was trying to combine it myself, the two pieces of code but did not succeed. Especially the hSignalSet is complicated to understand.

Best regards,
Sander

Hi @SanderH,

CAN is half duplex, can you elaborate what you mean by transmitting and receiving at the same time?

Deryck

Hello @deryck_hms,
Sorry for the confusion. There are now two programs one is receiving and the other one is transmitting data. Is it possible to modify the code that it is able to send data and receive data. Not in the same time but maybe add it to the signal buffer.

Best regards,
Sander

Hi @SanderH,

I am not sure we understand exactly what you are looking for. You want two programs accessing the data base at the same time?

Deryck

Hi @deryck_hms

The goal of the final program is to monitor and control a test setup.

This test setup consists of multiple electric motors that are controlled with a CAN-signal.
The controllers of the motors are transmitting data which will be monitored and logged by the application. That same application will be used for sending out control signals to the electric motors.

So this is why I want to implement the database for reading and writing operations. I’m curious if this is possible using the DBC file and the same function blocks that are used in the CAN weather client and server demo.

Thanks for your answer, I hope it is now clear.

Best regards,
Sander

Hi,

Thank you this makes it a lot clearer. Let me check with the developers on this.

Deryck