M40 Profinet module: Problem with unused OE,WE & CS pins

Hi support team,
I had some hardware problems with a M40 Profinet-IRT module. I designed the hardware transport provider based on the “SPI and Serial” example found on Appendix A of the “Hardware Design Guide” revision HMSI-216-126 2.8 en-US.

This example (and the SPI and Serial Operation chapters) says that pin numbers #10, #33, #34 (OE,WE,CS) should be connected to 3v3 because they are not used. So I did.

That worked with the M40 Profibus-DP module with housing, but the M40 Profinet-IRT module without housing seems to have those pins internally connected to Ground, and so it was causing a short-circuit. When I disconnected those pins from the 3v3 net the problem was gone.

I only have the one module, so I can’t compare to see if it is this particular module’s problem.

Are those pins really supposed to be internally connected to ground?

Hi @Santi_PH

I’ve checked with a colleague and he was saying that the device should not have those pins connected to ground. This is because they are needed for inputs for parallel

Hi Tim,

Thanks again for the fast response.

That’s what I thought. So there must be something wrong with this particular module. We have already contacted the local distributor to let them know.

Thanks again for your help

thanks, let me know what you find out

Topic closed due to inactivity.