Microsoft is replacing .NET Framework and .NET Core with .NET 5. Will we get CAN API for this new converged version of .NET?

Microsoft is now pushing .NET 5 (and onward) as the universal .NET API set to replace both .NET Framework and .NET Core.

Will you likely be providing VCI support for .NET 5 on Windows anytime in the future?

1 Like

Hi, sorry for the delay.

The responsible product manager is investigating when the VCI4.NET5 API can be implemented and had some questions.

Could you provide more information on the application this is for?

Is this for a new project or for updating an existing project?

If it is possible would you be interested in a prototype test?

There is no immediate need for a driver. I am looking at our migration path for the future.

Ideally we would do new development on .NET and also port our existing .NET Framework apps to .NET.

We currently have two internal use test tool applications that use the USB-to-CAN II and USB-to-CAN V2 to access two CANs.

Although I could also see using the PCIe CAN boards in the future as well as the API set appears to be the same.

Both of our applications written are in C# and run under Windows7 and Windows10. We are using VCI API v3.5.

At this time we are still using Visual Studio 2017 and .NET Framework.

We also use miniMon on occasion to log CAN messages.

Multiplatform operation is not a concern for us at this time.

Regards,

image001.png

Hi!

I сan not find your SDK for .NET 5.

The latest SDK will be in your ‘C:\Program Files\HMS\Ixxat VCI’ directory if you’re using the latest VCI driver.

Hello

Actually I’m developing a software based on C# .Net6 which has to communicate to an Ixxat Adapter USB2Can at first, maybe others later. At the moment I plan to use the VCI 4 Version nuget package as .Net API Interface but this version is compiled against .Net4x which can lead to compatibility problems.

@kyle_HMS what is the actual state of investigation the product manager did regarding .Net5/6?

Regards
Daimonion

Hi Daimonion,

For further questions on this topic please create a ticket which will be more visible to the project manager and get you in touch with your local support team.
https://mysupport.hms.se