Modbus TCP/IP to Ethernet IP

I want to communicate a Multilin 469 with Modbus TCP/IP with a Control logix.
What if my plant is running and I can not stop my PLC, I need to do all the mapping and adding the module on Studio 5000 online with the PLC, can I do that?

In the video the whole configuration is done offline with the PLC, and in minute 6:10 is showing download configuration to PLC, I can not do that, the only option I have is with the PLC online.

Can I do it ?

Thank you

Hello @emma_gfnet,

With the HMS-EN2MB-R you can setup and troubleshoot the modbus side without downloading to the PLC but a download will be required to synchronize the tags with the plc. To help avoid some complexities with a setup where you cannot easily download to a plc I would recommend looking at the AB9006 it has most of the functionality of the linking device. The biggest difference is the lack of built in tag generation.

With the AB9006 you can setup the device then add it to your PLC as a ethernet/IP IO device.

Deryck

Hi Deryck

So with the AB9006 I can do the same as the EN2MB-R except the tag generation, but the mapping of the external devices is the same,?

For example my PLC is running and I need to add a new Modbus TCP device, I already have the AB9006 in my RSLOGIX configured, so I only go and add a new server and map the words I want to use from my device and download the configuration to the module AB9006 with out making a download to my PLC?

Regards

With the linking device you will need to use the Add on Profile (AOP). When you make any changes to linking device you need to be offline with the PLC and will be saving the changes to the project updating the linking devices definition. Then the project needs to be downloaded to the PLC.

The AB9006 does not use the AOP and you do not have to make changes though Studio 5000. You will only need to add the device as a generic IO device or with the EDS file. When you add a server and transaction you will still need to update the IO size for the Ethernet/IP IO module in the PLC. While I am not exactly sure how I see ways to update the definition on the PLC with out a complete download.

Deryck