Modicon Quantum PLC Upgrade

Hello

I have an old Modicon Quantum PLC system (140CPU65260) using the Schneider QEIO (Ethernet IP) communications utilizing 140CRP31200 on the main rack and 140CRA31200 on the remote drops.

I am interested in replacing the Quantum PLC with a Beckhoff PLC. Ideally we would like to keep the main Quantum PLC rack as a remote drop and keeping the other remote drops as is. Is there a gateway that can be used between the Beckhoff PLC and Schneider remote drops? For the Beckhoff PLC, we can use Ethernet IP or Modbus TCP.

I’m not sure why you would need a gateway if the Beckhoff and the Schneider both support Ethernet/IP, but if for some reason they aren’t compatible, we have an Ethernet/IP Scanner to Eth/IP Adapter/ModbusTCP server (AB7668), that should work as long as you know the I/O Assembly Instances for the remote drops. Do you have an EDS file for them?

You can see how you would configure your scan list and the information you need on page 15 of the Scanner User Manual.

Hi @Julie,

I think that maybe I misunderstood what you are trying to do. Is the Schneider/Modicon PLC actually using Ethernet/IP, or is it just using Ethernet?

I don’t know much about the Schneider QEIO, and I couldn’t find much info about it. If it’s a proprietary protocol, you may be out of luck trying to integrate it into an Ethernet/IP or Modbus TCP system. Our gateways support Ethernet/IP, Modbus TCP, PROFINET, Profibus, etc., etc., but we wouldn’t have a gateway for something proprietary. If you have any info about the PLC or QEIO, feel free to send it to me and I can take a look at it and see if there’s anything we can do.