Netbiter Ethernet I/P Driver and Strings

Hi, I know this is a common topic but wanted to know if anyone has actually found what the class, instance and attribute are to be able to use string data types with the AB Ethernet I/P driver in the way described in the Argos administration manual.

We have a mutual client who was demonstrated the Netbiter by Routeco and HMS and has chosen it for the project, but is using a Compactlogix processor and needs to input order numbers with characters. The Compactlogix does not have native Modbus and the Rockwell sample code to implement this is heavy on memory.

I have proven the data type over Modbus using a different Rockwell PLC and have proven the principle using the string in the identity object which these devices support (Name), so if I could just find out the details above I think with SLC mapped tags in the PLC I could implement the requirements in a simple way.

Thanks for your help.

Jon

Hello @jon16384,

The Netbiter is able to read data from Ethernet/IP devices using the class, instance, and attribute using the Get_attribute_single and Set_Attribute_Single. This is done using UCMM and is not a class 1 or 3 connection. UCMM also know as unconnected messaging sends explicit messages for data from the device. This is used to read data from slave devices requesting specific objects. As far as I know this is not companionable with PLC’

We also have support for accessing data from some plc’s via tag names with the Read_Tag_Service, and Write_Tag_Service. This is only available on some PLC’s and you will need to check and ensure your PLC support this. This should be compatible with Compact logic PLC’s, I have used it on a 1769-L24ER.

This would be a concern since we do not have sting support with the Netbiter. Using the Service tag option we have 16 bit signed, 32 bit signed, 32 bit unsigned, 8 bit signed, Bool, and floats. You would not be able to read in a string.

Here is a screen shot from page 21 of the Netbiters User manual showing the Ethernet/IP client support. image

Hi Deryck,

Thanks for getting back to me, I guessed we might end up here.

So because the CIP service on the Ethernet driver is the single get and set attribute we can’t read multiple registers?

I am able to read the name from the identity object in all the PLCs:-

Presumably because it is a single attribute, but the multiple address mentioned in the Argos manual only really relate to the Modbus driver :-

I know your service on the ethernet tag driver can’t access strings either, so Modbus is really the only one that’s of any use?

It’s a shame as it really is only the same as accessing data tables in a Micrologix or SLC controller, I have already written a function to create a string from the ascii characters held in each byte of the registers and tested it using the Modbus driver.

Thanks again,

Jon

Hi Jon,

Yes in this case you are just reading a single attribute for the identity. I had forgotten he Get/Set Attribute supports strings. Technically you should be able to read any attribute from the PLC, but I am not aware of a way to create and object from that accesses tag data from a PLC.

I found this post for a ethernet/IP tool regarding something similar: https://github.com/EPICSTools/etherip/issues/2#issuecomment-197316872

Deryck