I was able to check the Netbiter unit on Friday after site team provided remote access. It was not detected through IPCONFIG tool, but was able to access it using the IP address 10.200.1.1 on the web-browser. I noticed that the Modem status shows disconnected, although the Mobile signal strength in that area is OK.
I tried to reset Netbiter to Factory settings to check further. After this, I am able to ping the IP address successfully but not able to login into it through web browser. Could you please advise how to gain the web-access back.
Also, please advise on any further steps to trouble-shoot the issue and get the Gateway working. Please find attached screen-shots for your reference.