No LAN devices can reached due to a network overlap

Hi! to all experts,

I would like to seek support with my cosy131 problem as it does not allow me to connect to any LAN devices, also I cannot ping the IP of cosy131 from PC by the way I am using 3G modem connection (sim card). Om ecatcher it shows cosy131 is online and I’m able to perform connection but there is a warning “No LAN devices can be reached due to a network overlap”. Below are the IPs I have and have set so far

Cosy131 IP: 10.184.160.35/24
Cosy131 LAN: 192.168.0.1/24
PC IP: 172.10.5.120/24

I have done changes in the Talk2mClient.ovpn, below are changes

from “ip netsh” replace with “dhcp renew"and dhcp release”
from dev-node “Talk2m-eCatcher” to "Talk2M-eCatcher Connection (I have done this because there was an invisible TAP-windows32 adapter which was named "Talk2m-eCatcher and I cannot delete and unable to trace from registry).

I hope you can support me from this as soonest.

thanks,

The problem here is that LAN address you used for the Cosy is one of the most common home network addresses due to home router default address settings.

The network you are connecting from has the same subnet (IP space) as the Cosy’s LAN, so your home router probably has the same IP address as the Cosy, and your computer doesn’t know which network to send traffic for that network too. This is a common issue for VPNs in general, which is why it is a best practice to use a less common subnet address, like 10.249.54.x/24 for the VPN network.

You will need to change, either the Ewon’s LAN subnet address or your home network’s subnet address.

Hi Kyle,

If I change the ewon LAN IP would I stillbe able to connect with the PLC? By the way here is the IP of my PLC 192.168.0.2/24.

Thanks

No, you would not be able to reach the PLC. I would recommend connecting from a different network, for example, use your phone as a hotspot to connect your PC to the internet, and then log in and change the IP address of the PLC (if possible). You will want it to be an address on the new LAN subnet you will use, for example, 10.249.54.2. Then change the LAN address of the Cosy, for example, 10.249.54.1, and subnet 255.255.255.0.

If you can’t change the IP address of the PLC, your only option would be to change the local network address.

Hi Kyle,

It is not possible to change IP of PLC because if I do that then I have to change all IPs connected to PLC e.g. drives, remote I/Os and other field devices. I did try to use my phone as hotspot for my PC but the problem is still the same. Could somehow be there any solution aside from changing IP of PLC?

Thanks,

Hi Kyle,

I was confuse, on your message last part about to change local network address? Do you mean my PC? How?

Thanks,

It seems odd that your phone would use 192.168.0.x/24 for a subnet address, but I guess it’s possible. You might be able to change this is the phone’s settings.

The alternatives to changing the Cosy’s LAN address are:

1. Connect from a different network that doesn’t use the same subnet

2. Change the subnet address of your network. This would need to be done on your router.

3. You can go into the Cosy’s properties and specify the IP Addresses of the devices on the LAN. However, if your Cosy and your home router have the same IP Address (192.168.0.1, for example), this is not going to work.

Keep in mind, this issue is not necessarily caused by a limitation of the Cosy. This is how IP networking works. You can’t directly connect two separate networks that are using the same addressing.