NTP server sycn

I’m trying to do ntp (time) on my flexy. But the timing seems not working. I put the ntp server as ntp singapore because my location is near with singapore (GMT offset -8). Then the result is like below image.

NTP server (Singapore server) : 10:00am
NTP client / OPC UA server (eWON Flexy) : 10:00am
OPC UA client (my server) : 6:00pm

When i put it 0 on GMT offset, the result is like below image.

NTP client / OPC UA server (eWON Flexy) : 2:00am
OPC UA client (my server) : 10:00am

I want to sycn all time should be same.
NTP client / OPC UA server (eWON Flexy) : 10:00am
OPC UA client (my server) : 10:00am

Can you advice to to solve this issue.
One more thing is how can i do ntp time by offline mode (no internet connection)?
I already set my server (windows10) to enable ntp server. But the flexy cannot read the timing. I just put the ip address of my server on NTP Server Address area.

I just tested this and set a GMT offset of -8 with your same information and my time synchronized properly to: 20:39 (8:39 PM).

Can you advise specifically what is happening?

My understanding is when i put the ntp server timing (within our region area) it should give same timing without put the GMT offset right (0).
Example, my country is singapore. So i put the ntp server singapore (0.sg.pool.ntp.org), GMT offset = 0. My flexy result should give same time as my time on my laptop. But now is difference. Please correct me if my understanding is incorrect.

One more thing is why my OPC UA Client is always get the timing +8 from my flexy time? Example My flexy 10.00am (10:00). My OPC UA Client 6.00pm (18:00).

@tdstech

That may be the case however the eWON specifically requires a GMT offset which is why putting a -8 gave me the correct time sync.

As for your OPC timing, have you confirmed the timing in your client is valid? The eWON will use the same time in its push that it has stored in its base configuration so the times should match.

The timing in my client side is correct. Same timing as my Flexy timing. But when i push the data through OPC UA, the timestamps will add 8hours from Flexy timing. Why it can be like that?

@tdstech

Does your OPC server do anything with the timezone? I tested mine and the data timestamp matched correctly.

My OPC server is do nothing for timezone. It set time as automatically. Time zone also set as automatically.

Just for recall back my question. Why my ntp server is not working properly? I give two conditions that i do for this testing.

1. My timing is 10:16AM

2. My timing is 10:33AM

ntp.talk2m.com is europe timing
0.sg.pool.ntp.org also is europe timing

@tdstech

I have requested information from our Belgian office to determine what is happening.

Okay. Im waiting the feedback from your side. Hopefully with good news. :grinning:

@tdstech

Alright I have pinpointed this issue. I had a lapse in my thinking which is why I didn’t think of this sooner.

The issue is caused by how the OPC UA client is expecting and interpreting the data. Basically the OPC UA client is expecting a UTC+0 timestamp however the eWON is not sending that by default. This is noted in the OPC UA server manual on page 7 as well.

In order to get the best results, it is recommended to set your eWON to UTC+0 which will allow your client to encode it properly.

opcus

Refer to my earlier question, wonder why the local time in the eWon still remain unchanged when we set ntp.talk2m.com (europe time zone) and 0.sg.pool.ntp.org (asia time zone) at “NTP Server Address” column. Both testing we are using GMT Offset to UTC+0.
Correct me if i’m wrong, Supposedly the eWon local time will refer to NTP Server Address that we set,right?
Please advise.

Many thanks in advance.

@tdstech

It should though I cannot guarantee that as we do not manage that NTP server. I would recommend simply using ntp.talk2m.com and setting the appropriate offset. However in any event, as noted in my previous reply, you should be using a GMT+0 to avoid the mismatch with your OPC client.

Thanks for the advise, Jordan.
Wish you have a nice day.

Thanks for the advise, Jordan.
Wish you have a nice day.