Okuma to Universal Robots via AB7672-F Gateway

We have an AB7672-F configured for EthernetIP Master and DeviceNet Adapter. We are looking to connect a Universal Robots UR10e to an Okuma Multus for machine tending automation. The Okuma guys have worked out the connection for the Multus on the DeviceNet side and is configured via the DIP switches.

The UR control is an EthernetIP adapter so the gateway is the scanner. I’ve used HMS-IPconfig to set the IP address for the EIP side. I can ping it successfully, Is there any configuration needed using the Anybus Configuration Manager?

Where is the EDS file used? Has anyone had experience accessing the EIP IO points via Polyscope programming? This is my first run using EthernetIP.
Thanks

Hi @Deane,

You can’t import the EDS directly into the Anybus web configuration. You will need the CIP connection points which are contained in the EDS file, or these are also most likely in the User Manual. Can you share the EDS and/or user manual?

Kyle,
Thanks for your response. There are 20 bytes shared from the DeviceNet side to the EthernetIP side. The file:005A000C00460300.EDS is the file from Anybus webside downloads.
005A000C00460300.EDS (13.8 KB)
The I-O Points file is from Okuma. These are the I/O points that are updated with each scan.
I-O Points Available to the U-R Control.pdf (438.6 KB)

My question is how to identify these points to the Universal Robot control? Are these points manually defined in the Anybus prior to connection to the UP control?
Thanks,

Hi @Deane,

I thought that you had an EDS file from the UR10e. The EDS file is what the Scanner uses to create the connection with the adapter. It has information about the connection, like the Connection Points. You will need to get the Ethernet/IP Connection Points for a Class 1 Input and Output connection from the manufacturer. I quickly glanced at a manual on their website, but couldn’t find them. You may have to contact them.

Once you have that information, you will enter it in web configuration page of the Anybus. See page 14 in the User Manual. Make sure the Input and Output sizes match what you have configured in the Anybus Configuration Manager. You will use the points in the PDF (IO Points Available to the U-R Control.pdf) to build the Scan List in the Anybus.

Best Regards,

Kyle Reynolds

Thanks for the information. Yes, a UR vendor engineer pointed me to this article on the UR site (Ethernet IP guide - 18712 - collaborative robots support) that has a great example of connecting from an A-B PLC to a UR via EIP. At the bottom of the article are links to the files referenced, including the EDS file.

What information in the EDS file is relevant to creating the Scan List config? I know the IP addresses for both the Anybus and the UR control.

Using the ACM to view the I/O data size in bytes it is currently set for 20 bytes input and 20 bytes output. Does this carry over from the DeviceNet side? I O data sizes are the same for DeviceNet.

Hi @Deane,

It looks like they are using the Connection Points:

Input > 100
Output > 112
Config > 1

So for the Connection Points, for Originator to Target you will use 112 and for Target to Originator you will use 100. Make sure the sizes are correct and it should connect with those settings.

You can see them here in the EDS (in hex):

Kyle,
This is good information. I’ll connect via the web interface and build a scan list entry using the
Originator → Target 112
Target → Originator 100
Not sure what this option is: Config > 1

Thanks

You won’t need the Config Connection Point, just the Input (T > O) and Output (O > T):

Let me know if that works for you.

This morning we connected the UR to the Okuma Multus using a network cable (CAT5e). Below are the config settings of the AnyBus config pages. I can display the web config pages for the Anybus. I can ping both systems. But the UR is not showing a connected status.

Here are the settings we are using:
Okuma Multus Anybus:
IP: 10.10.10.1
SM: 255.255.255.0
Scan List config
Target: 10.10.10.5
Originator → Target CO Point: 112 Size: 20 Offset: 0
Target → Originator CO Point: 100 Size: 20 Offset: 0

UR10e
IP: 10.10.10.5
SM: 255.255.255.0
Ethernet/IP Enabled (but status is showing yellow)

Is the Control/Status word enabled? What is the status on the General Status page?

Have you tried switching the Input and Output Connection Points?

Are you able to take a packet capture with Wireshark? (You will probably need a hub, or a managed switch with port mirroring to capture all of the traffic)

Here is the General Status page. Not sure what the control Status word is.

I can try switching the connection points.