Problem with AB PLC Setup

Hello,

We’re having issues with setting up the Cosy131 with our Allen Bradley ML
1400 PLC Model (1766-L32AWA). The type of connection we are attempting is
USB from the Cosy to RS-232 on the PLC, I can currently connect to the USB
with eCatcher and gain a connection with the PLC, but are having issues with
the remote setup on the PLC side. We currently use RSLogix Micro for PLC
Programing and RSLinx Classic for connection setup. If you have any
information for this type of setup that would be helpful.

Thanks,

Stephen Halter

@haltersd

What kind of issues are occurring when trying to setup the connection?
In this case, you will use the eWON’s LAN IP to represent the PLC.

The driver in RSlinx will be USB.

From the eCatcher I can complete the connection through USB and is shown as connected. When I try to set up the connection on the PLC side I’m unable to see the PLC in the list and I have tried several of the listed drivers on RSLinx. It’s a issue with selecting the appropriate driver I believe.

@haltersd

In your host PC, after connecting in eCatcher, if you go into your device manager, do you see the USB device listed? Does it show the driver loaded properly?

No it doesn’t it reads as following
Device type: Ports (COM & LPT)
Manufacturer: RadioShack

Device Status
This device cannot start. (Code 10)

@haltersd

It appears the USB to serial adapter you are using is not loading its driver package correctly over the tunnel.
In my experience I have had the best results using USB-to-RS232 adapters that use an FTDI chip. I cannot say if this Radioshack adapter does however I do not believe that adapter is going to be supported over this connection.

I will purchase a new cord to see if that was the issue. The one we have now has been around for awhile. I will let you know of the outcome, thanks for your help.

1 Like

@jseanor

I have a cord from FTDI and can show it working in the device manager. I’ve tested a direct connection to my computer and setup through the RS-232 DF1 driver and that works just fine. When I connect through the Cosy with the same driver it won’t connect. I have also tried the USB driver which is called Virtual Backplane and that doesn’t show anything either.

I believe it is down to a COM Port configuration. On my RSLinx the connection is flashing on and off on the node every couple of seconds. My current settings in the device manager consist of:
bits per second: 19200
Data bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop bits: 1
Flow Control: None

@haltersd

Would you have some time tomorrow to work on this with me over a Teamviewer?
If so please PM me your phone number so I can give you a call.

To close up this thread, we were unable to get this particular USB adapter working however certain other USB adapters may work. USB to serial can be a bit finicky so there isn’t a guaranteed USB to serial connection.

In this case the USB driver would not load properly over the tunnel.