Problems loading MPI3 driver

I am having a problem installing VCI interface on a windows 7 laptop. This is a fresh operating system install with the only other thing on it being a Techno research program that uses a can interface for Harleys. The other program works fine. This interface works on both my desktop windows 7 and my personal windows 10 so I know the interface is working. The IXXAT software loads with no problem but when you plug the interface in it says driver failed to install but if you go to device manager it shows the IXXAT VCI 3 interface along with the VCI3 USB- to-CAN V2 compact but the VCI3 USB-to-CAN device shows device can’t start code 10. It shows the correct driver is there 1.3.4.4543 but it won’t start. I have been working on this problem for hours and haven’t made any progress. I even tried loading driver in safe mode but I’m beginning to think this is not a driver issue. The laptop is a dell L501 and the USB uses renesas electronics usb 3.0 drivers but like I said the other interface does work. Thank You

Hello @rjdorsett,

Is it the dell laptop with the 3.0 usb that is having issue? Do you have any USB 2.0 available and have you tried those I have heard of a few instances with usb 3.0 ports ports causing issues. I will see if i can find some more info regarding this.

Deryck

Yes the laptop is a dell L501 and the USB’s are 3.0. There are no 2.0 USB’s on the laptop

Thank You!

1. Unfortunately we do not have a Dell L501, but we could not reproduce any problem on a Windows 7 Dell E6530.
  2. Would you please check if the actual BIOS and motherboard driver updates are installed from Dell webpage?
  3. Would you please tell me if the USB-to-CAN V2 is connected directly or via any USB extension cable?
    4.1. Please update the USB-to-CAN V2 with the below attached beta firmware v1.5.13 and tell me if the problem still occurs?
    4.2. Would you please tell me if the problem occurs with the below attached VCI V3.5.2.4268?
    4.3. Would you please tell me if the problem occurs with the VCI V4.0.507.0 from our webpage?
    https://www.ixxat.com/support/file-and-documents-download/drivers/vci-v4-driver

Files.zip (170.5 KB)

https://fileshare.hms.se?container=C9MX49Q7Ez9hh5wJ3eT9Md7dZ53R4gm2282Yf5Jc3RU6e
(Due to the size i needed to use a separate file share for the VCI V3.5.2.4268)
The file share will expire on 2018-03-09 15:16

Ok I checked for all updates from dell and everything is up to date. I updated firmware on the working laptop and installed VCI V4 and I still have the same issue. Like I said in original message I have another diagnostic program from Technoresearch that uses a usb to can adapter called a VCM-TR4 and it works fine so I know that the ports are working ok. It seems strange that device manager shows the device with the correct driver it just wont start!

Can you confirm if the device listed in the minimon/cananalyser software? Do you have a second USB to CAN you could test?

Hello @rjdorsett,

My colleagues in Germany have made the following requests to further diagnose the issue.

Please test the USB-2-CAN with a powered external usb2.0 hub.

Can you also confirm if you saw the same issue using the VCI V3.5.2.4268 drivers that were attached earlier.

Deryck

I am going to purchase a powered usb hub today and will let you know if that works. I have tried both VCI software versions and had the same result with both.