Questions about the Flexy

Hello

I understand you developed a unitless methodology to describe information gathering by the flexy. Unfortunately I have to translate this unitless value to a quantifiable byte size unit.

To make it easy lets talk about this in the following example:

I intend to connect the Flexy to 1200 Modbus registers/tags. I will configure the flexy to collect information from each of those tags every 5 [sec] for a duration of 30 days. I will also configure the flexy to send these data points collection once every month after which all data will be erased (as the flexy will not be used as storage device). At the end of the month I should expect a CSV file to be sent from the flexy to an email address with all 1200 tags collected information.
Questions:

1. What will be the file size that the Flexy will be able to hold throughout that month?
  2. What will be the CSV file size the Flexy will sent to the email
  3. Can I assume each Tag sample size will be = File Size on the flexy (before it is compiled and sent to the email) divided by 1200, divided by 483840?
  4. Why did you define a limit of 1200 tags per flexy when the flexy can support 1,000,000 data points?

Hello,

The amount of data points you can log will vary depending on the data type being stored. I will need to gather details regarding how much space is available and how is will be taking up.

My initial though is that this will be to much data to log directly on the Flexy. You will need to look into getting the data off the flexy internally logs and into another storage medium. You might be pushing the log file onto the SD card, using one of our cloud services such as the datamailbox or pushing an esync data base.

I will work on gathering more information on the local storage and try to get back to you Monday.

Deryck

Hello @Amit_Gitterman,
Data logging is done using a first in first out method so you will not need to clear the Flexy every month but as previously stated you are performing a lot of logging and will not be able to store all your data. 1200*(2.628*10^6 seconds in a month )/5 = 630,720,000

Data is stored in a struct in the log so ever data point logged will take up the same amount of data. Each point will take up 16 bits of data. (data structure) With the default memory format of you have a 6MB log partition on the Flexy. This will gives you 375, 000 data points, if you jump up to the largest size of 19 MB you will have 1,187,500.

Here is an example CSV simulating 95749 data points 95749pts.csv (4.4 MB) A CSV file is a text file making it difficult to determine the file size. The size will is determined by the content.

If moving the data over to a remote storage option (esync/datamailbox) is not an option I would recommend moving your logs over to the SD card to increase you local logging capabilities on the ewon. The SD in Ewon can be used by log and keep data.

The Flexy is limited to 1500 tags per IO server https://websupport.ewon.biz/sites/default/files/kb-0111-0-en-ewon_tags_limitation.pdf Due to resource limitations after 500 tags you will start to degrade the performance and can start to experience stability issues.

1 Like

Hey @deryck_hms,

Expanding off of this a bit, how do we calculate how much room there is for extra stuff such as custom .CSV files?

Hi Nick,

Custom files would end up in the /usr partition. So in this case you have about 5 bytes 5 MB for custom files.

Deryck

@deryck_hms

Just an FYI, I think you meant to say around 5MB, not 5 bytes.

Thank you!