Sample serial message to AB700C

Hi, I have a new AB7000-C and am trying to write a simple value to it from a serial subnetwork connection. I have set it up like I think it needs to be set up but when I monitor the node I never see my values there. Do you have simple examples of a AB7000-C setup and a write to it? I’ve read the manual as best I can but I am obviously missing something. Apparently I am not "framing my serial message correctly.
Although the specs say it can adapt to most any serial data network, it seems like it has to meet certain requirements with the header information, etc. An example would be most helpful.
Thanks

Hello,

We do not really have such an example, it would not really be useful because ASCII applications are generally very unique from each other.

The best way to figure out how to set up your serial frames is to cross reference the documentation for a serial protocol with what you see in the log file of the communicator. The log file will report exactly what it sees coming from the serial device in the RX column. To take a log use the “start logging” button in the configuration software.

Best regards,
Nick

Nick, thanks for your response. I tried to make a log but it never captures anything. I looked at the forums and everyone seemed to be able to do that but I don’t seem to.

David Smith - mobile

David,

Does it say “No data logged”? This would likely mean that the serial device is not sending anything during the log capture or perhaps there is a wiring problem.

Best regards,
Nick

Hi Nick. Your suggestion about the wiring was correct. I was using a straight through and not a Null modem cable.

So, I’m getting log data now. I am using LabVIEW to communicate to the AB7000 and I can make any serial string I need to. I’m sending data at 1 second intervals to the serial port of the AB7000. The Hex test data is as follows:(0102 0304 05). I can see that in the log file but when I look at the node monitor I don’t see any data in the location its supposed to be in.

Log Text:Profi1.cfg (16.0 KB)

HMS Industrial Networks AB
AnyBus Communicator log file
5/23/2018 2:33:27 PM

RX                      TX                      

Line # Relative Time(ms) Hex Dec ASCII Hex Dec ASCII
1 0 0x01 1 .
2 1 0x02 2 .
3 1 0x03 3 .
4 1 0x04 4 .
5 1 0x05 5 .
6 996 0x01 1 .
7 1 0x02 2 .
8 1 0x03 3 .
9 1 0x04 4 .
10 1 0x05 5 .
11 995 0x01 1 .
12 1 0x02 2 .
13 1 0x03 3 .
14 1 0x04 4 .
15 1 0x05 5 .

Hello,

I think the problem is that you have a end character delimiter for your variable data object with 0x00, yet there is no end character. I would just set this to no character until you see data.

Best regards,
Nick

Nick,

You are correct. After trying a few things yesterday it all works fine now. Although I cannot test the profibus side of things at this moment, no PLC or other profibus equipment available At this time, I can read and write to the subnet side just fine.

We will be using this to interface our system to another service companies system on a drilling rig. We can test the profibus side of things when we get the two systems joined.

Thanks for your help. I may need to ask another question or two in the future.

I am glad you figured it out! Do let us know if you have further questions.
Best regards,
Nick

Nick, we are at the point where we need to test this with a system… We are having difficulty understanding the format of the data on the serial side.

Can we schedule a call with you to discuss? We are in a hurry to understand this.

Thanks,

Hello,

Nick is no longer available but i should be able to assist you. What questions do you have regarding the serial side? Do you know what protocol the device is using?

If you would like we can try to set a time to discuss over the phone, or you can call our support line 312-829-0601.

Deryck

We would like to discuss now if we can. I’m sure its just that we aren’t understanding the method. Please call me at 907-230-9775 and I can merge in our programmer also.

Thanks,

Hello,

Unfortunately I had already left for the evening. I should be available today untill 5 EST. Let me know if you would like me to call.

Deryck

Deryck,

I think we have a solution. We are going to test this morning to see. We may still need a call. I’ll let you know if we do. Thanks

I’ve copied Jon Jay our Programmer for his reference.

Thanks,

Ok, let me know if you have any questions.

Deryck

Deryck, Do you have a GST file available for the AB7000-C?

Hello,

We have the GSD file available on the files and documentations page for all our devices. Here is a link the the AB7000.

https://www.anybus.com/support/file-doc-downloads/communicator-specific/?orderCode=ab7000

Deryck