Send and receive SMS text message with Pay as you go

I have several Flexy’s out around the world and some of them with a Pay as You Go SIM card. To top off and get usage info Ill need to be able to send and receive sms direct from the flexy. This would normally be done from a cellphone with the pay as you go SIM card. IS there anyway I can do this through ecatcher? Or any other way?

Thanks,
Bill

Hi Bill,

Do these SIM card that have this plan have an online management of the account that you can add credit to or is text messages that only way to make a payment for the SIM card? eCatcher does not have a way of managing the data plan but you can still send the number text messages.

Thanks for your reply. The online management is very limited typpically. I can top it up, but would want to verify and that ussually comes in via sms to the SIM. Can incoming sms be read somehow?

Thanks,
Bill

You can have the Flexy read an incoming sms by writing a script in the BASIC IDE. Here is an example we have.

https://developer.ewon.biz/content/sms-reception-ewon

Thank you. Is there a tutorial how to get started with scripts? I see the page in the eWOn, but dont know where to start. I do have some experience in writting basic scripts. Also, would there be a way to get a simple way to send and receive SMS from the webinterface in a future update? THis oulw make troubleshooting easier as well. Like checking if the SIM card is activated and such.

Thanks,
Bill

We don’t have tutorials, but there are examples located on this page.
https://developer.ewon.biz/content/basic-1

We also have a reference guide that discusses the synax and gives example code.

Is there no documentation on how to get started with scripts in the ewon? Looking at the Basic IDE page in one of my Flexy201 but where do I put in the script? Under Console? Can I save the script, run multiple scripts?

Hi Bill,

Section 7.2 of the flexy documnet talks about the parts of the BASIC IDE.

Your script goes in the Init section or Cyclic section. You can have multiply triggers that can run different pieces of code. Pressing the floppy disc button will save the script. Under the run tab you have the option of selecting auto run so whent he device boots it will run your script. Otherwise the script wont run after bootup until you change the script execution from stopped to running.

Very helpful, thanks. :-))

Maybe a bit off topic, but how can I check how many text messages I have sent?

Hi,

If you go to the account tab in eCatcher you can choose report and it will have the monthly consumption reports that list the number of SMS that have been sent. The Flexy can show when an alarm goes out in the scheduled actions section but it does not keep a tally of the number of SMS that have been sent.