Setting up AB7649-F (Allen Bradley (Ethernet) to Simatic Nanobox PC (Profinet IO))

Hello,

I am trying to setup the X-gateway for IO data exchange between Allen Bradley and Siemens (Simatic Nanobox Box). I have setup the IP addresses and I/O data size and download to the X-gateway via Anybus Configuration Manager. But I am still getting MS LED (3 flashes) flashing on lower half (Profinet IO). Please advise how can I resolve this. Thank you.

Hello @HSohal,

If the MS is flashing 3 times this is telling you it has not had a station name or an IP address set. Have you configured the station name though your Profinet Master?

Here is a application note that covers the setup in tia portal. See section 4.2 regarding setting the device name.

Deryck

Hello Deryck,

I am not using TIA portal. I am using Siemens Step 7 software. Do you have a document that covers how to setup via Step 7 software? I have another question, I have also noticed that if I connect regular ethernet cable on the X2 (profinet IO port), the MS starts flashing (3 times) instantly. Does that mean that I am only restricted to connecting profinet cable in that port X2? Thanks for you help.

Hello,

Documentation for the step 7 can be found here.

I am not sure if I understand this question. You do not need to use special profinet cables. One side of the device is should be configured for Profinet with 1 port and the other would be for Ethernet/IP with 2 ports.

Deryck

Hi Deryck,

Thank you, I got X-gateway to work. It was missing the device name and wasn’t matching with the hardware config. I have another question regarding AB7649-F. The specifications states that the X-gateway can support up to maximum of 512 byte of inputs and Outputs in each direction. But how come when I monitor the gateway via web-browser, I can only monitor/see from bytes 0 - 63? I have total of 1700 (inputs and outputs combined) and I have 2 Anybus X-gateways. Do you think 2 x-gateway will be enough for exchanging 1700 I/Os? Please let me know. Thank you

HMS%20Monitor%20gateway

Hello @HSohal,

The web page is limited due to memory limits on the web server. You will still have 512 bytes in each direction.

I can not say if 2 gateways will be enough for your 1700 inputs it would depend on the data size for the inputs. If they are each a byte this would not be enough. but if they are only nibles or Bools this would be fine.