SLC 5/03 with the kepserverEX

Hi Maribel,

Everything what is explained in the video can be done with the HMS-EN2SE-R gateway? Basically I need to connect the SLC 5/03 with a CompactLogix L18…(just for trials)…as the final approach is connect directly the SLC 5/03 with the kepserverEX (OPC server of our MES system).

Thanks

Hello,

This looks unrelated to the above issue. The HMS-EN2SE-R can connect to a SLC plc.

The configuration and use of the Linking devices are limited to Logix 5000 20.01+ So it would not be compatible on the ethernet/IP side with LepwareEX. I would recommend a AB7072 for this use case. This has the same functionality as the EN2SE but does not use the AOP and can be connected to via Ethernet/IP as a generic module, with the EDS file or as a Modbus TCP server.

Regards,
Deryck

Hi Deryck,

First of all, sorry to use other issue for asking about the connection the SLC5/03 with kepserverEx.

Just to clarify that is what I need. We have a kepserverEX as a third party OPC to connect with out MES system (Ignition Scada) and now we need to connect some SLC 5/03 plc with kepware. The mistake it was, as in the lab I have some compactlogix, it would like to run some trial and connect the SLC with the compact with the EN2SE as it is the module that we bought.

So after you mail I have the next questions.

1. Just a trial, and take the opportunity of the EN2SE offers, I am thinking in use a compact logix to read the data from the SLC 5/03, and use the allen bradley driver from the SCADA to connect the compactLogix. In this case do you have a manual user or video to implement this solution?

2. About you solution to change the device to AB7072 I am a little bit confused. My proposal is not use any rockwell plc as a pasarell between SLC and kepware. So I dont understand why you propose this new comunicator if I need a EDS file to configure it as a generic module in the logix5000. Kepware has a driver to read directly from DF1 protocol.

Thanks in advance

Hello,

Before answer you questions I have a disclaimer this forum is run by our support team here in the United States and I recommend you reach out to your local distributor or local HMS sales team to to ensure you are picking the right product. This being said I have no issues helping with your questions.

1. The EN2SE can read from a SLC plc. We have the following video for a communicator that goes through this process. https://www.anybus.com/docs/librariesprovider7/default-document-library/videos/hms-academy-instruction-video---communicator-ethernetip-to-df1-gateway.wmv?sfvrsn=f4e7a9d6_10
    The EN2SE is very similar to the ab7072 communicator, the en2se add some features like built in tag support and is programed via ethernet with the AOP. The setup for the DF1 side is the same but the video will not cover the Studio5000/AOP specific tasks like Tags.

2. Perhaps there is a misunderstanding between us here. You said:

“Basically I need to connect the SLC 5/03 with a CompactLogix L18…(just for trials)…as the final approach is connect directly the SLC 5/03 with the kepserverEX (OPC server of our MES system).”

The HMS-en2se-R requires you to use Studio 5000 and a compatible PLC on the ethernet/IP interface. If you are not using an Allen Bradly Processor for the final step I was suggesting the AB7072 as an alternative to the HMS-EN2SE-R.

Deryck

Hi Deryck,

Again thanks for answering me. We bought the HMS device through electrical components supplier here in our factory but they bought directly to Rockwell sales here in Spain.

About the point 2…I got it after you answer…they provided directly this HMS module by mistake as the distributor understood that they wanted to communicate with rockwell hardware as it is our normal automation brand. But anyway even if it was the first approach we have some compactLogix as spare and we will use it to go ahead with the EN2SE-R.

So coming back to the point 1. I saw the video in the hms.forum and I tried to replicate it (exactly the same but only reading data).

This is the actual configuration of the channel 0 of the SLC 5/03 processor.

These are the routine into the SLC to check it the communication through the EN2SE.

The acc value of the counter is written into the 110:0 register momory (as an integer).

I created the module inside the Studio5000.

I set up the IP to the module using the IPconfig program.

The EN2SE configuration is the next one:

After set up all the data I connect to the device and download the configuration to the module.

I recieve this error message.

But after clicking ok the download it is suppose the download process occurs without issues but when I download the project in Studio 5000 the module is in error.

And I dont know if it is related with the issue but being online when I check the HMS module configuration some parameters are not like should be.

The protocol mode is now in Master Mode instead of DF1-Master.

What am I doing wrong?

Sorry for the long mail.

Hello Arandad,

The Linking device is not a transparent ethernet/IP to DF1 gateway. The linking device is a DF-1 is reading and writing the IO on the SLC plc using the instructions. Then on the ethernet/IP side the PLC is reading and writing the data off of the Linking device. This is setup using the AOP and that data is exchanged to the tags configured in the configuration software.

It looks like you have the DF1 side configured, you should be able to confirm if data is being exchanged by looking at the node monitor. To do this right click on the node in the tree and selct node monitor. This will show you the data stored in memory, if you are reading data off of the SLC you should see it here.

You will need to have tags setup to exchange the data down into the PLC on the ethernet/IP side. This is why you received the error about no tags.

Also make sure you accept all the dialog boxed that show up when creating the tags and closing the configuration manager. This is saving the program to your Studio project and updating the definition so the plc knows how much data to exchange. If you do not save the project changes to studio and make sure you apply the module definition changed before you download to the plc you will get the invalid input size on the plc.

Regards,
Deryck

Hi Deryck,

I am little bit confused about the fisrt paragraph. What does mean “The linking device is a DF-1 is reading and writing the IO on the SLC plc using the instructions”?? I move directly in the SLC a integer number to a N110:0 but I cannot see anything in the NodeMonitor.

I am online with the DF1 driver so I am sure that the serial side is correctly connected. The only point is the driver only works at 1200 bauds rate with the COM1 but when I configure the subnetwork in the HMS configuration manager only I can choose from 2400.

About the tag in the Ethernet/IP, when I create the module this is what I see:

So I can imagine that the problem is device is not correctly configured…But I dont know the reason as for sure I accepted all dialog box and saved the changes before downloading the configuration of the project.

Thanks for helping me

Hello,

The Df1 device is making a read device to the plc as specified in the command, seen in this screen shot you posted. So you need to make sure this read request matches where you have the data on your PLC.

This is a limitation of the communicator you will need to configure the SLC device to use a compatible baud rate. If the serial settings do not match you will not get communication between the devices.

Regards,
Deryck