Slow with Studio 5000 to China

We can connect to a customer site in China, but when we try to do anything, Studio takes about 15 seconds to react (if at all)
We can connect to a customer in Spain with no problem.

All of our customers are in Europe and China, is there a way to speed this up ?

Thanks
Craig

If the slowness is due to the network that you are connecting to in China, there isn’t much we can do. You would have to contact whoever is in charge of that network. Do you have the serial number of the effected device(s)? We can make sure that it’s configured to use the correct VPN server at least. Is this happening for only one site in China or for multiple sites?

Thank you,
Kyle

Hi Kyle,
The customer site has a fast internet connection, they sent a speed test and it was about 50 mbps. The serial number of the device is 1737-0412-22
Unfortunately, it’s the only one we have in China at the moment, however we’ll be putting a few more in over the coming months at new customer sites.
We have a couple more cosy 131 devices in the field (UK and Spain) and they work perfectly.
Thanks
Craig

Hi Craig,

I checked to make sure the device is using the correct VPN server and it is the right one. Where are you located? In the U.S. there is some delay but only 200-300 ms, nothing like the 15000 ms you are describing. How is the connection for other activities, like using the PLC web interface, or pinging it?

Kyle

Hi Kyle,
We’re in Scotland.
Opening the Webpage for the COSY itself is ok. It just seems to be traffic to the PLC.
Thanks
Craig

OK. Can you create a temp eCatcher log in to use so I can investigate this? If that is not possible, I will at least need to see the logs, or do a remote session with someone who can log on. You can grab logs using eBuddy, go to Backup/Restore and Include support files. Post here, anything sensitive will not be posted.

thank you,
Kyle

No problem Kyle,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks

Craig

Hi Craig,

I was able to confirm that the connection to the PLC is fine for HTTP and Ping. I increased the MaxCall time to hopefully improve the performance, but I didn’t see any definitive cause for your problems. The firmware is fairly old, so you could try updating from 11.2 to 13.2 (you would need to do 11.2 to 12.0 to 13.0 to 13.2 if updating remotely with eBuddy.) You can try that or possibly try to get a packet capture while using RSLogix (with Wireshark, for example) for us to look at.

Thanks,
Kyle

Hi Kyle,
That seems to have made a difference. There is a delay when trying to go online with RS Studio, but after that we can get in and look at the PLC program live whereas before it was totally unworkable.
I’ll have a look at upgrading the firmware using the steps you mentioned.
Thanks for all your help.

Craig

I’m glad that it’s working better. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kyle