SMTP relay DNS errors

When testing the email functionality when following []KB-0046 How to relay Email and SMS using Talk2M?] I get DNS errors such as:

• 24910 dns-The name does not exist
  • 24907 dns-Read operation timeout
  • 24908 dns-No response from server
  • 24916 dns-Unable to resolve host name (relay.talk2m.com )

I followed the KB article and used:
SMTP Server Address: relay.talk2m.com
SMTP Server Port: 25
Email “From” Username: (entered my email here)
Username: (I left it blank)
Password: (It shows the circles/asterisks but I’ve cleared it out multiple times and clicked update)

Reading someone else’s previous post to a similar issue the cause was the password that they entered, but the KB article says that for the Username and password “You can leave these fields empty (credentials will be taken over automatically).”

Also I see that there is the need for the eWON to be connected to Talk2M in order to use this email relay. I can connect to the ewon using eCatcher so I assume this means the connection to Talk2M is ok.

Any ideas on what the problem is and what exactly do I need to enter into the SMTP setup if I intend on using the relay.talk2m.com address?

@BenWat

The errors described indicate that the device is unable to reach a DNS server.

I’d confirm that your device has a valid internet connection by running through the internet wizard and enabling the checkbox that says ‘test online address’. You can also try a public DNS like 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 when going through the internet wizard.

I tried your suggestion but I get the same result/errors when I configure 8.8.8.8 as primary DNS.

When using DNS via DHCP or manual assignment (to 8.8.8.8) the internet connection test succeeds.

I’m not using any proxies or anything. Also, doesn’t the connection to Talk2M and the ability to connect via eCatcher show that the DNS piece is functioning?

@BenWat

The ability to reach theTalk2M servers does show that you have internet access but the eWON has hardcoded IPs in it so it does not need to reach the DNS server if you are on a relatively new firmware which is the case.

If there’s no typo in your relay name then it could be the network restricting traffic.
You can also try our authenticated relay to see if you are able to reach it.

This requires a username and password in the format described in the document below:

facepalm

There was an extra space at the end of the [relay.talk2m.com ] SMTP address that I copied from the pdf. Fixing that resolved the issue. Thanks again Joe.

In the 24916 error message you can see this by the space between “.com” and the end parenthesis “)”.

1 Like

OMG, same thing just happened to me, thank you!