Talk2mvpnservice problem on Ecatcher

Hi,
I have a problem with Ecatcher, it doesn’t detect the talk2mvpnservice on my Windows.
I tried to restart my computer, uninstall ecatcher and ‘tap adapter’. Install OpenVPN for the ‘Tap adapter’.
I turned off the Windows firewall, turned off my antivirus. I verified if i had another vpn software, I desactivated somes vpn software service…
I have always this error. See picture.
Do you know what is the problem ? tests to do ?
Thank you,
Remi

Picture :

What anti virus are you using on the PC? Is it possible to make an excpetion for eCatcher?

It is AVG, I am verifying…

It seems that exception doesn’t change anything. Ecatcher worked correctly on 2020
on the same PC. …Strange problem…

Hello,

Has your OS gone through any security update? I will have to discuss with my collegues on possible issues that could cause this kind of error.

Yes, my WIndows 10 Pro is up to date.
This year, Windows has did certainly many security updates.
Is it possible to use Ecatcher wihout ‘talk2mvpnservice’ ?
Use an external ‘talk2mVpn’ software ?
Thank you,

Sorry, the picture is in french… WIndows Update =>

eCatcher requires thge Talk2m VPN service to work.

I will create a case for this and ask our developers what it could be causing this issue?

OK. I tried with ‘OpenVPN’ for the Tap Driver on a server… and all is correct, they works on my PC.
It seems that is precisely the ‘Talk2mVPNService’ who has a problem…
I can’t stop/start the service, is it normal ?
Do you have a test to verify that this Windows Service is OK ?

If the Window service is running on the OS, that it should be working.

There are a couple of fixes we can try as well:

Disable the Antivirus, restart the computer with it disabled and try again.
Delete the Adapter and reinstall the adapter with signed drivers
Uninstall eCatcher, and ensure the adapter has been removed

A similiar issue happed in the post below:

It was found that the issue was caused by the anti-virus

Have you tried the solutions in the topic that i posted?

This is a difficult problem as it can be an issue with the installation and OS.

Hello,

Has there been any update on this issue?

I was in vacation… I will try some tests this week or the next week. Thank you.

Hello,

Has there been any update on this issue?

Hello,

is there a final result/solution of this problem? or any infos where and why it occurs?.

In case of our experience last 3 years we changed this year our openvpn client to another product, as the ecatcher every time makes trouble if there was also an openvpn client installed.

Actually i got 8 workstations with ecatcher and 6 are working well, and 2 making exact this error.
The 2 problamatic machines, last week worked well, nothing changed, but now broken. Why?

All machines are Win10 with newest updates, all user accounts are non-admin accounts.

Hi,
For me, I don’t have the solution yet…

Hello @gadmin @RemiNolin,
We have been seeing errors recently where some antivirus are blocking the service from starting.
Can you check if you have the talk2mvpnservice running under services? You should be able to see this under task manager.

If you do not see the service as a test try temporarily disabling your antivirus. Most recently I have seen webroot causing the most issues.

All 8 machines are using ESET Enterprise Endpoint Security, and on 6 it works without problems,
but i will check it and inform you after i test it.

Checks done:

1. Check if service is running: false, no service in list

2. Check logfiles ESET and disable ESET temporarily, restart, check is service is running: false, no service in list

3. See eCatcher Symbol is also not found, try to change by hand: gives popup: %systemroot%\installer{E7C…}\icon.exe not found

4. ReInstall: Start ecatcher setup as non-admin user, permission prompt login as admin, reinstallation done

5. Works, also after reboot, see how long, as it was now 3. time that i install ecatcher on these 2 client.

Keep us updated if the 2 machines stop running eCatcher.

-Kevin

@RemiNolin

Have you performed the tests Deryck and I have suggested?