Trouble adding device drivers to ECON100

Wanting to add support for USB adapter peripherals. Have grabbed linux-stable, checked out v4.0 and built. Generated ko but insmod rejects

root@econ-100-s:/mnt# insmod ch341.ko
insmod: ERROR: could not insert module ch341.ko: Invalid module format

checking module on build workstation
joseph@joseph-T1700:~/linux-stable/drivers/usb/serial$ file ch341.ko
ch341.ko: ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, ARM, version 1, BuildID[sha1]=40ba324fadd00bc01a557bdd40babb8cd4b5cf9a, not stripped

check atemsys.ko from ECON100
joseph@joseph-T1700:~$ file atemsys.ko
atemsys.ko: ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), BuildID[sha1]=3759c9a69c540fd75e7cc864ecadbf35b8a9a2c5, not stripped

Also see “vermagic=4.0.0-xilinx SMP preempt mod_unload modversions ARMv7 p2v8” in atemsys.ko.

Have pulled linux-xlnx from github. Repository does not contain a “4.0.0-xilinx” branch or tag. Where is the 4.0.0-xilinx repository found and what toolchain is required for compatible builds?

Thank you

Update: I was able to build EABI5 kernel modules using the gcc-arm-none-eabi-5_4 toolchain from here,

joseph@joseph-T1700:~/linux-stable$ file ./drivers/usb/serial/usbserial.ko
./drivers/usb/serial/usbserial.ko: ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), BuildID[sha1]=a0aff5d8aa02db43d32bab20adbaaf4a92739d92, not stripped
joseph@joseph-T1700:~/linux-stable$ file ./drivers/usb/serial/ch341.ko
./drivers/usb/serial/ch341.ko: ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), BuildID[sha1]=760c9a54314c02ffa2a77686ae3bf91902530b56, not stripped

The module load still fails likely due to kernel version conflict.
root@econ-100-s:/mnt# insmod usbserial.ko
insmod: ERROR: could not insert module usbserial.ko: Invalid module format
root@econ-100-s:/mnt# insmod ch341.ko
insmod: ERROR: could not insert module ch341.ko: Invalid module format

Hello,

We are escalating this question, we will let you know once we have more information.

Thank you, Nick.

My immediate need is for compatible usbserial.ko and ch341.ko modules.

Long term we need the ability to build any module required.

Hey Nick,

Do we have an ETA for any answers or guidance? I would like to make progress on this.

Thank you, Joe

Hello Joe,

We are currently awaiting a response from product management. We have just requested an update, I will let you know once we hear back.

Best regards,
Nick

Still waiting… 4.0.0-Xilinx kernel is GPL code. It should be available.
Where is it? What is the holdup?

Thank you, Joe

Hello,

I received information from product management. They are now investigating the possibility of preparing a package. Once they do this they will likely need to test. I know this is preliminary information, I will let you know once I know more.

Nick

Hello Nick,

Thank you for the update. I want to build this and other desired drivers as necessary for our solutions using this Ixxat ECON100 platform. I am not asking for a set of tested binaries. I am asking for access to the specific Linux kernel repository containing the “4.0.0-xilinx” branch/tag so any available driver can be created. There are no plans to update the actual kernel on the target, just build loadable modules. Two weeks have already passed since my original support request.

Here is the version as reported by the device:
root@econ-100-s:~# uname -a
Linux econ-100-s 4.0.0-xilinx #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 12 10:07:14 CEST 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

• Joe

Hello,

For completeness I wanted to update this forum post. We have been working on this offline, as the application is specific and has required a large amount of direct correspondence.

For more information about this subject matter, please give our support team a call at 312-829-0601.

Nick