Unable to connect eWON Cosy 131 to VPN server

I am trying to connect a new eWON cozy 131 to the VPN server and am having it fail out on the VPN connection step. The eWON establishes UDP connection and HTTP connection, reads the Talk2M config, but then fails to connect to the VPN. I can see in eCatcher where the device attempted registration, the last one I attempted was 2/9/2018 at 2:13:35 PM. I’m not sure if the problem is with the configuration of the eWON or the configuration of the firewall. We have a couple other eWON devices connected in our facility, but they are
connected to the Euro server at IP 188.165.49.241. We added the US servers
to the firewall and I believe this device is attempting to connect to a US server, but our firewall log only shows it attempting to connect to the access server 92.52.111.210. My IT department requested that I have the device attempt to connect to the Euro server that the other devices are configured for at 188.165.49.241, so we can confirm if this is a firewall issue or configuration issue. I believe that this is a setting that support needs to change for me. Please advise.

@milljaus

If everything is passing in the Talk2M wizard but the last step fails ( trying to open a VPN connection) then that typically means openVPN as a service is not allowed on the network.

You can try forcing TCP in the talk2m wizard which will force the eWON’s VPN tunnel to use the TCP protocol. I’ve seen cases where the IT department is only allowing openVPN over TCP port 443 and not over UDP port even if the port allows general traffic.

To force TCP in the talk2M wizard, see instructions below:

If forcing TCP does not work then you’ll have to get with the IT department, and ensure that openVPN is allowed on their network firewall.

Hi Joe,

Sorry, it took a few days to sort out a few things with my IT department.
I tried forcing TCP and was unsuccessful. I went back to my IT department
to clarify what they opened up on the firewall. There was some confusion
about which eWon servers were granted access, so I had them go back and
confirm they added all the eWon US servers both for port 1194 and 443.
Here is the list they confirmed addition of:

I gave it another try, both with UDP and forced TCP, with no luck. I can
see in eCatcher where the device attempted registration. Is there
anything you can see on your side that would indicate why the VPN won’t
connect? The eWon device ID is a9551, serial number is 1708-0329-22, and
talk2m account is bbmus9551. My last attempt at registration was 2/19 at
9:21:09 am.

Thank you,

@milljaus

I see that it was last online on 02/08 and I do see the registration attempts as well.

Your device uses the following servers (auto assigned during last registration):
Access server:
92.52.111.210 - as.pro.talk2m.com6
Device Server:
161.47.81.213 - device.vpn23.talk2m.com

If the last step is failing in the Talk2M wizard only then your ports appear to be open, however you are unable to build an openVPN tunnel. The root cause for this is typically openVPN as a service is not allowed on their network firewall.