Unable to find Tap-Win 32 adapter

Recently Windows 10 updated and ever since I am unable to get connected in eCatcher. Most recently it began giving the error: Unable to find Tap-Win32 adapter

What happened here? Did my software update? How can I fix this, I need to get live with a machine.

This issue is normally caused by eCatcher not being able to find the Tap-Win32 adapter that is required for a VPN connection. This is luckily an easy issue to resolve.

1 . Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\eCatcher-Talk2M\Talk2MVPNService\Drivers

2 . First run the file named addtap.bat. You may need to right-click the file and select “run as administrator”. You will get a very quick DOS window that should go away almost immediately.

3 . Now you can run the file renametap.vbs. You will get a few pop-up messages here. You can just keep
clicking ok until they all go away.

4 . Now to verify the installation went through successfully go to your network and sharing center and verify that you see an adapter named: Talk2M-eCatcher Connection

After doing all of the above you should have no issues getting connected!

1 Like

Hello,

I’ve recently obtained a new computer and am having trouble setting eCatcher properly. When I try to connect to an eWON, it says that it has failed to configure the TAP-WIN32 driver. When I look at my network and sharing center, I see that the driver is not present. I’ve tried running the addtap.bat file per this KB:

but the driver does not appear in my network and sharing center. I have also tried reinstalling eCatcher and running as administrator. Lastly, I’ve tried the steps present above by Jordan.

Are there any known problems with this driver and Windows 10? Are there any alternative ways to install it?

Best regards,

David Fairchild

@David_Fairchild

There currently are no known issues with Windows 10. Can you try right-clicking the addtap.bat file and selecting Run As Administrator? I’ve personally had to do that on Windows 10 previously.

In some circumstances, this may be a driver signing issue and will require you to either download the tap adapter with signed drivers or you’ll have to disable signed driver enforcement on your PC.

Tap Adapter installation with signed drivers
You can download the tap adapter with signed drivers from the following location:
https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/downloads.html (Installer NDIS6)

I also uploaded the Tap Adapter Installer here: Tap Adapter Installer.zip (208.9 KB)

After installing the tap adapter, you will need to navigate to your network adapters (Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections) and rename your TAP- Windows Adapter V9 to Talk2m-eCatcher Connection

Disable signed driver enforcement

If you prefer to disable signed driver enforcement on your PC
Please see the following instructions:

" Windows 10 enforces driver signatures by default. This can be disabled to install drivers that are not digitally signed. Use the following steps to disable driver signature enforcement.

Click the Start Start menu and select Settings.
Click Update and Security.
Click on Recovery.
Click Restart now under Advanced Startup.
Click Troubleshoot.
Click Advanced options.
Click Startup Settings.
Click on Restart.
On the Startup Settings screen press 7 or F7 to disable driver signature enforcement.
Your computer will restart and you will be able to install non-digitally signed drivers. If you restart your computer again the driver signature enforcement will be re-enabled. "

Ok. This did not help but I did find the trouble. In the network connections I had a second Tap_windows adapter that was connect to Ethernet. Once I deleted that adapter all is working good now. Thanks for your help. You may want to add this to your troubleshooting files.

1 Like

Now need to rename the Tap adapter to “Talk2m-eCatcher” if the rename doesn’t work

This solved it for us:

This adds a second tap adapter and rename it. This can be done after install. You might need to install both sophos and ecather before running this fix. This script is available in the installation driver folder Talk2mVpnService > driver with the file called install.bat . The script will will add an adapter then rename it for ecathcer. The folder link should look something like C:\Program Files (x86)\eCatcher-Talk2M\Talk2mVpnService\drivers
Once in this directory right click on install.bat and select run as administrator.