Urgent Flexy Issues

Also, your Tag value’s are not working being imported correctly. This can be due to the alan bradly communication, and mismatch addressing for the ewon. I would disable these tags for now, until you can verify communication with the PLC’s.

Also, reset the configuration for the OPC UA. The watchdog is just a symptom of a bigger configuration problem.

Adjusting the IP/Subnet Range for your LAN, reviewing the addressing and tag setup, and resetting the OPC UA may resolve the watchdog issue.

For illustrative purposes, this is the tracelog we get when trying to connect to another Flexy we have locally in our shop:

Good afternoon Kevin,

You were correct, the IP addresses for the PLCs were wrong. Once we corrected them, the ABLOGIX connection started working correctly. Thanks for catching that. Now that all tags appear to be communicating normally, I’ll leave them enabled.

I’ve since tried reenabling the OPC UA server using ports 4840 and 48020, tried Login Types “Username/Password” and “Anonymous”, and tried deleting all the security certificates on the device. The “own” certificate regenerated once I reenabled the server. However, I’m still unable to connect a client to the server, and the watchdog errors persist. If it helps, the connection fails in the “endpoint discovery” phase. I’m never even able to choose a protocol from the client side. If it helps, from UAExpert I get this set of errors when trying to discover the server endpoints:

I’ve looked everywhere in the web interface and scoured the internet, but didn’t see any way of resetting *only * the configuration for OPC UA. I’m worried about doing any other reset of the Flexy and losing our ability to VPN into the unit. Do you have any suggestions on how to proceed?

MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (182 KB)

Hello,

Resetting the Flexy is not required at this point.

Is the Flexy acting as the OPCUA Server or Client?

I did notice with the configuration of the OPCUA settings your IP’s seem a bit different.

Does the onsite IT network have port 4840 open?

What are the settings and certificats that the in network flexy’s have?

The error suggests that the endpoint is inactive. Besides the error i see above, your settings match from what i have seen of OPC’s before.

Kevin,

The flexy is acting as the OPCUA Server. We don’t have an OPCUA Client.

I don’t understand what the IP addresses you mentioned have to do with anything? Those are the addresses for the ABLogix, which are working correctly now. Even when they are turned off we still have the issue with the OPCUA errors.

The connection between the Flexy(OPCUA Server) and the PC is a direct connection, there is no firewall so yes, the 4840 port is open.

I’m not sure what you are asking for with the settings and certificates. That information was in the backup we supplied was it not?

What error are you talking about suggests that the endpoint is inactive?

Let me restate the issue at hand to try to gain some clarity and see if we can’t get focused on the problem at hand, because it feels a bit like we are just stabbing in the dark right now.

When the OPCUA Server is enabled we get records in the Real Time Logs like the following every 10-15 seconds:

Every 3-4 minutes when the OPCUA server is enabled, the flexy restarts on its own and when it comes back up we get this message in the event logs:

We are connecting to 2 different ABLogix PLCs and we are seeing the Tag values change now. We were getting errors associated with that previously, but that was because we mistakenly had the wrong IP addresses in the topic setup. That is fixed now though and we don’t seem to be having any trouble with that.

We have tried reducing the problem down to find what part is causing the “UA ServerMain stopped due to error” issue. We tried disabling the ABLogix topics, removing all Tags, deleting all certificates, and none of that stopped the “UA ServerMain stopped due to error” issue from occuring. It seems to me like the issue is that the UA Server is getting some kind of error which eventually causes the flexy to reboot itself. I just can’t figure out what that error is. It seems to happen irrespective to any of the IOServer configurations or Tag configurations, or Certificate configurations.

We have a project that is totally held up by this issue and we don’t seem to be making a lot of progress with the back and forth emails. I would like to request either getting this issue escalated to someone who can help us understand what the 0x80050000 means or at the very least get someone on the phone who can walk us through the troubleshooting live. Right now it seems like you are asking us to do a bunch of things that don’t seem directly related to the issue at hand or that we have already illiminated and the time lapse between email communication is dragging things down. Please let me know what we can do to accellerate a resolution.

Thanks,

Justin

Hello Justin,

I understand the urgency and your frustration on this issue. I am pulling additional resources to get this issue resolved for you. If required, I will be escalating this issue to our team in Belgium.

You will recieve updates immediately, as I recieve them.

Again, I apologize for the for delay and frustration. This issue has not been documented before, so we are investigating every possible source of the issue.

Hello Justin,

I reviewed this issue with my team.

We checked the backups and we a few questions:

When on the phone, it was stated this system was working for a while before the reboots occurred.
Was the OPCUA active during the period it was online?
Where there changes to the network prior to when the rebooting started?

We do have some events in the log regarding GSM modem connection.
Is your primary internet connection the cellular modem? Is the secondary connection wifi?
If so, your cellular modem isn’t receiving a strong enough connection. We advise setting the wifi as the primary.

It was stated previously, you don’t have physical access to this device.
Is there a technician on site that can work on this unit? Can a factory reset be performed? Can the firmware be upgraded to the latest release?

Have you tried disabling the OPCUA to verify if the resets still occur?

With you permission, I would like the most recent backup so that i can apply it to my inhouse flexy to replicate this issue. We will need a backup without support files, so that I can apply it to my Ewon Flexy.

I understand the frustration of the troubleshooting. However, examining previous backups show a lot of errors that we have to address first. We do not have a quick fix for this issue, so we must eliminate errors to verify if it’s releated to other issues on the device.

The more information we have, the faster we can get this issue escalated if need be.

I believe after we did the factory reset we got the internet and VPN set up, we didn’t configure anything else, but enabled the OPCUA Server and it worked for less than 30 minutes before it started rebooting. I didn’t make any other changes between that time.

The Flexy is configured to use Wifi as the primary and WAN as the secondary. As a matter of fact, before we started getting the OPCUA server error we did not select a secondary. We never set up the GSM modem connection at all.

We don’t have physical access to the device and there is no one onsite to help us. I believe it is already updated to the latest firmware 2.0.2 if I remember correctly.

When the OPCUA server is disabled the resets do not occur and we do not get the “UA ServerMain stopped due to error (0x80050000)” message. Immediately after enabling the OPCUA server it begins logging this message. We are turning it off now before it restarts because we are afraid we will loose access to it.

We will work on getting you the latest backup you requested.

Thank you for your help.

Justin

No changes have been made to the flexy since the backup that Chris sent you yesterday. Is that backup not sufficient?

Here is a backup without support files. Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide to expedite this process.

MOVED TO STAFF NOTE (37 KB)

Hello All,

Thank you for providing the backup. I restored, but I do not see the OPCUA settings on the device.

Is there a way I can remote to this device? We can do either by setting up a teamviewer session, or by creating a user profile under the eCather account. Either method will work, I just need to pull the setting of the OPCUA and verify they are set up correctly.

Sure. I prefer teamviewer. I’d like to watch/be on the phone with you while you go through so I can understand what you’re looking for. Can you give me a call when you are ready to connect and I’ll get you on?

Justin Jeanes

Digital Leader

ITW Hartness

Topic closed due to inactivity.

We are seeing the same issue. What was the main cause?

Hello,

I would create a ticket on our support portal, as this may not necessarily be the same issue.

https://hms-support.zendesk.com