VCI 4.0 crashes Windows 10

Installing "VCI 4.0.598.0 Installation [Attestation signed] " still crashes Windows 10. Please kindly provide support.

Hello,

I will need to look into this and get back to you.

Best regards,
Nick

Hello,

Can you please answer the following questions?

1. Could you please let me know the exactly PC type (processor type and motherboard type)?
  2. Could you please let me know if the Secure-Boot is activated in the BIOS?
  3. Could you please let me know if the actual BIOS and motherboard driver updates are installed?
  4. Could you please send me the Windows dump file?
  5. Could you please let me know which CAN interface board is used?
  6. Could you please let me know when exactly the PC crashes? During the installation of the VCI V4.0.598.0?
  7. Could you please let me know if the Windows 10 crashes only if the the CAN interface board is plugged-in?
    (or does it crashes independent on if the CAN interface board is plugged or unplugged?)

Best regards,
Nick

1. Intel Core i7-7820HQ@2.90GHz
  2. Yes, activated
  3. Yes
  4. Not available at this time. Will send it to you once captured
  5. CAN interface does not really matter since Windows does not boot up once VCI4 is installed
  6. Windows does not boot up after installation
  7. It does not matter

Thanks!

Thanks! Once you get the dump file you can zip and drag and drop it into this ticket.

Best regards,
Nick

Could you let me know what type of dump file you would like to have? After this issue, Windows 10 does not boot up any more.

Hello,

I will ask my colleague to elaborate, but I think doing this should be what you need.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/315263/how-to-read-the-small-memory-dump-file-that-is-created-by-windows-if-a

Best regards,
Nick

Hello,

Here is some feedback from a colleague,

"1. >> Could you please let me know the exactly PC type

> Intel Core i7-7820HQ@2.90GHz

Could you please let me know the motherboard type?
(so that we can check if we can find a similar chipset and try to reproduce the problem)

2.1. Please deactivate the Secure-Boot in BIOS and uninstall the VCI V4.0.598.0?

2.2. If it is not possible please start the PC and deactivate the check of the driver signature
“Troubleshoot | Advanced options | Startup Settings | F7” and then
uninstall the VCI V4.0.598.0

1. Could you please let me know which CAN interface board is used?

CAN interface does not really matter since Windows does not boot up once VCI4 is installed

Please confirm that I understand correctly that the Windows does not boot up
    even if the CAN interface board is not plugged in?

4.1. Is the virtualization based security activated on the used PC?

(Please note that the INpact and CAN-IBxxx interface boards are not supported in this version)

Best regards
Andreas

PS:
Some links about the virtualization-based security

Description:

Turn on Virtualization-based Security:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/68913-enable-disable-device-guard-windows-10-a.html

Check if it run:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/68926-verify-if-device-guard-enabled-disabled-windows-10-a.html

Other Website from Microsoft about enabling:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/windows-defender-exploit-guard/enable-virtualization-based-protection-of-code-integrity

PPS:
We can reproduce the problem only if the virtualization-based security is activated and is running."

I am going to send you a beta version to try using our file share, please let me know if this works.

Best regards,
Nick

Thank you for the response.

1. Will get more info
  2. Sorry, disabling Secure-Boot is not allowed as per our IT policy
  3. Correct
  4. Will check

Thank you! Will try the beta version.

I tried the beta version, it works fine!! Thank you! Will you release an official version with the fix?

That is good news, I will request information on the official release.

Best regards,
Nick

Hello,

I am told that the official release is set for this version is August/September tentatively, we do not have a solid date.

To help us understand this better could you do the following?

Best regards,
Nick

Is it possible to release the fixed version sooner? Can I continue using the beta version until the official version come out?

Please see below:
Part 1

Part2

Thank you!

Hello,

Unfortunately not, however you should have no issue using the beta version until then. Thanks for the information!

Best regards,
Nick

Hello,

Can you tell us what CAN interface you use?

Also, my colleagues said this beta is totally fine to use, the reason it is not released sooner is due to other product testing that has nothing to do with what you are doing.

Best regards,
Nick

I am using USB-to-CAN V2.

Hello. Can you send me a beta for a new driver?
We use vci-4.0.598 on windows 10. After the first driver installation, it works fine. After reboot, when adapter initialized by software, Windows 10 crashes and show blue screen.
After reboot, i delete device from device manager, replug CAN adapter to other USB port, install driver. It works before next reboot.

Hello,

I have sent you this beta using our file share, thank you!

Best regards,
Nick

hi Nick,

could you please send me the beta version too?
i’m having the same problems as described above.

beste regards

Ferry

Hello Ferry,

I am not sure the Beta drivers would apply here. We currently have driver version 4.0.638 available on our ixxat site.

https://www.ixxat.com/support/file-and-documents-download/drivers/vci-v4-driver