viewON Export Failed - Java heap space

I have been developing for a while and after making some final animation additions, when I export the project, I get the following message:

Jva heap space

Any ideas why?

I saved and then restarted viewON and then the project compiled and exported completely.

I am OK.

Thank you.

@TDS_Scott

While I understand you have resolved your own issue, I wanted to provide some insight as to why it occurred in the first place.

ViewON at its core is a Java application. Java applications run in a virtual appliance called a JVM (Java Virtual Machine). The error that you received is because the JVM for ViewON essentially ran out of memory. This can occur when you load a bunch of images, code and more all at once. The reason that saving and reloading ViewON worked is because it essentially clears out the memory in the JVM.

Now this will rarely be an issue but if you want to get “hacky” you can actually launch ViewON with custom memory limits as well. This should rarely if ever be used but can be used to get around this issue when working on very large applications.

Example:

This should all be done from the Windows command prompt.

CD C:\Program Files (x86)\viewON
JAVA -Xms512m - Xmx1152m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -XX:MaxNewSize=256m -jar viewon-4.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

This will allow you to launch ViewON with even more memory for development. As I said though this should be used sparingly.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: ViewOn Max size