VPN NAT

Hi

We have set up a Cosy 131 with LAN IP 29.18.1.100.
We have a PC connected to LAN Port 1, with IP 29.18.1.200, GW 29.18.1.100.
I am unable to ping the PC when I’m connected via eCatcher.
The plan is to be able to connect to the PC via TeamViewer over VPN.

I’v read a few Topics and “manuals” regarding the NAT settings, but I’m unable to get any results. Could you give me a step-by-step for my specific setup?

First, unless you have a specific reason for it, I would recommend using a private IP subnet, as 29.0.0.0 - 29.255.255.255 is registered to the U.S. Department of Defense. Using public IP addresses can cause routing problems.

Second, if the plan is to use Teamviewer, the PC only requires an internet connection, and you can use these instructions to configure that. If you aren’t familiar, to change those settings, go to Setup > System > Storage > Edit COM cfg where you can search by entering the first few letters of the setting. Make sure to reboot the Cosy and ensure the PC’s gateway is set to be the Cosy’s LAN address.

If you want to use VNC or Remote Desktop, you should only need to connect the PC to the Cosy’s LAN and ensure it’s on the correct subnet. You don’t need to manually configure NAT. Make sure the firewall is set to Standard in eCatcher (if you haven’t specifically added the PC as a LAN device) by going to the eWON’s Properties and clicking the “Configure LAN Devices & Firewall” button:

Thanks for the info, we’ll take that into consideration (we are located in Norway).

We do not want the PC to have internet access, both to minimize data usage over the mobile network, and to prevent private use of the PC.

TeamViewer normally works fine on LAN, and when there is no internet you connect via the IP-address instead of the User ID.

I have connected the PC the same way we have connected several PLC, and we can access them without problem via the programing software. (and ping them for that matter)

I have tried having the firewall set to both standard, and to High after adding the PC IP-address. But no matter I am unable to ping it?

The PC is connected to the green LAN1-port, and I used that PC to set up the eWon, so i know there is a connection and that the cable works…

OK, I didn’t realize that you were using Teamviewer in this way. That would be very similar to using VNC. Make sure that the PC responds to pings, they can be blocked by the firewall in some cases. If it does, than I think it might be a routing problem, possibly caused by using the public IP address. Can you ping the eWON’s LAN address and it’s VPN address?

I have not tested pinging the PC on the local network, and it is a few hour’s drive from our office. But it is just a stock W10 PC, running only Windows Defender as an AntiVirus. Seeing as I can ping W10 PC’s on my LAN here, I would be surprised if that PC would be any different.
I can ping both the eWon’s IP-adresses.
The way I set up and connected this PC, is the same way I set up and connect all of our PLC’s currently attached to a eWon, and I have no problem connecting to them of pinging them…

In the eWON, go into Setup > Storage > Edit COM cfg and look for the setting NATItf. What is the setting?

Also, you need to make sure the default gateway on the PC is set to be the eWON’s LAN address.

As stated in my first post, default gateway is set:)
Here you can see the settings.

PLease disable NAT 1:1 and try again.

Sorry, thought I had disabled it after doing some testing.
Anyway, it does not change the behaviour when I try to ping.

You are really going to need to test pinging the device on the local network. It appears that it’s not responding to pings for some reason.

Are there any other services running on the PC that you can test? (FTP, HTTP, RDP?)

Also, please reboot the eWON

OK. No, there is nothing added to it apart from TeamViewer.
Is there a way for me to give the PC internet-access from repogramming the eWon remotely?
That way I could connect to it the “normal way” via TeamViewer and check its settings.

Yes you can follow these instructions to enable internet access. They do not become active until the device is rebooted.

I have rebooted it already after disabling the NAT1:1.

Rebooting the eWon with the settings in your instructions bring the PC online in my TeamViewer-list, but only for a about 2 minutes, after this it goes offline. If i try to connect to it, it goes offline right away, This repeats if i reboot the eWon…

How is this eWON connected to the internet (cellular, cable, WiFi, fiber, satellite)?

Can you send a backup using eBuddy (make sure to check the box for “include Support files.”

It’s connected via cellular.
freningen_backup.tar (60 KB)

The log doesn’t show the eWON going offline at all. You’re probably going to have to get your local HMS office involved in this case by opening a ticket at https://mysupport.hms.se or calling +46 (0) 35 17 29 00

Ok, thank you so far!