WAN & 4G with Modem

Hello everyone,
I currently use an ewon with an ethernet connection which allows me to connect remotely with ecatcher.

However, when the Ethernet connection isn’t available via the wan (Ethernet connection), I would like used the FLB3204 module with data subscription sim card to take over.

So that the services (pure ftp, email) are always available as well as the connection by vpn.

How do it to resolve this changement of connection between Ethernet and Modem modul?

Thank you for you reply

Hi @DOne

You should be able to do this by just going through the Wizard on the device’s webpage and entering in the information for the SIM card. You’ll want to make sure that you have a good signal strength and make sure that you have the correct APN for your SIM card.

-Tim

Okay, indeed in setup> system> communication> internet connection> modem> interface we can see the configurations of the SIM card.

But how to allocate the internet connection by Ethernet LAN if the cable is available or the connection with the 4G of the sim card? eWON performs this task automatically?

If the eWON is only configured on the modem, is it still available online on ecatcher by vpn?

Hi @DOne,

You device should be connectable in eCatcher after you’ve gone through and passed all of the wizards. If you’re asking how to give devices that are connected to the Flexy internet access, we have a guide that goes over how to do that.

https://websupport.ewon.biz/sites/default/files/kb-0069-0-en-access_internet_via_ewon_beside_talk2m_vpn.pdf

Hi,

Okay tanks for your informations but the configuration isn’t issue.

So, I use an eWON Flexy 205 with an Ethernet connection which allows me to connect remotely with eCatcher. And to do many actions (PUTFTP and Email) througth Ethernet connexion.

However, when the connection isn’t available via the WAN (Ethernet connection), I would like the FLB3204 module with data subscription sim card to take over. How to do that ?

So that the services (PUTFTP & Email) are always available as well as the connection by VPN.

Tanks

Hi @DOne

If you’re on firmware 12.3 or higher you should be able to set the fallback connection by just going through the internet wizard. After you complete the wizard the first time, it will ask if you want to create a fallback connection . Once you do that, it should be fine to use this connection for putftp and email without any issues.

Hi @Tim_hms,

Yes, exactly !

I use firmware 13.2s1, and during wizard procedure, the fallback connection has been created.
Now, when I cut off Internet connectin with a cable, after 3 attemps, switching to secour connection.

But I don’t see my eWON through eCatcher and PUTFTP command with fallback connection don’t execute… In scheduled action, the code is 24916 - unable to resolve domain name ?

Is there an other specifics configurations ?

Thanks

If the device isn’t showing up in eCatcher I’m thinking it must be having some kind of issue with connecting to the internet.

If you setup the FLB3204 to be the primary connection are you able to see the device online in eCatcher? Also can you check what the cell’s signal strength is and make sure that you have the correct APN for your SIM?

I setup the FLB3204 as the primary connection and WAN as second connection…
In wizard Internet, I don’t have issues but during the configuration for VPN with Modem, there are many issues that I don’t have if the primary connection is Ethernet connection

Can I try and take a look at this over teamviewer?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/hms-networks-s3/original/1X/HMS_QS.exe

Hi @Tim_hms,

I resolved the issue with vpn access throught 4g modem, that was an old abonnement of data…
I did a factory reset and changed the sim card and it works !

However, when I configure the fallback connection, if I want a no stop connection with Ethernet as primary connection or 4G as second connection (Ethernet is down), What is the best configuration of the fallback about timer ?

• Retry count ?
  • Secondary connection time (minutes) ?
  • Delays between 2 secondary connections (minutes) ?

Tank you for your help

Hi @DOne

I guess it really depends on what you’d like for the device to do.

The WANFbckCheck-Period works for this case. If you have device Connection 1 go down. It will wait 60 seconds then try and connect to Connection 1 again. If it doesn’t connect with Connection 1, it will keep retrying until the retry amount hits the Retry count.

For example if you set the device to have 3 retries, with a 60 second delay between connections it will try connecting 3 times every 60 seconds. At the end of that, if it’s still not able to connect, it will go to its fallback connection and stay on the fallback connection for the amount of time you specified in the secondary connection time. When it reaches the end of that secondary connection time it will begin retrying on the primary connection again.

-Tim

Hi @Tim_hms,

Thank you for your clarifications, they were important to me in my work.
I would like to get a last request on the different parameters on the fallback connection.

With the WANFbckCheck-Period on 60 seconds by default, and that device connection 1 go down. It will wait 60 seconds then try and connect to Connection 1 again. If it doesn’t connect with Connection 1, it will keep retrying 3 times by default (WANFbckMaxCnx-Retries).

At the end of that, if it’s still not able to connect, it will go to its fallback connection and stay on the fallback connection for the amount of time that I specified in the secondary connection time (WANFbckMaxDuration).

When it reaches the end of that secondary connection time it will begin retrying on the primary connection again ? If it doesn’t connect with Connection 1, it will keep retrying 3 times by default ?? Or just one time ?

And from this state, after 1 test OR 3 tests not successful, a minimum time interval before another WANfallback can occur aftera previous one has already been triggered is running so ?

If WANFbckMinInterval is 75 minutes by default, ONLY AFTER this time, the sequence of 3 verifications can execute ? So, it will wait 60 seconds then try and connect to Connection 1 again. If it doesn’t connect with Connection 1, it will keep retrying 3 times by default, and if it’s still not able to connect, it will go to its fallback connection.

So if WANFbckMinInterval is 0 minutes, in this case, When it reaches the end of that secondary connection time it will begin retrying on the primary connection again directly. And after sequence of 3 verifications, the swithing will be autorize ?

Tank’s so much for your reply :slight_smile:

Hi @DOne,

You’re correct that after the device fails to go online with the primary connection 3 times, that it will go onto the fallback connection for the amount of time that you set. Once that time is reached, it should go back to the primary connection and try that again 3 times and then go back to the fallback connection.

With the minimum fallback time in between connections being 75, then you’re right that it would wait 75 minutes before it would begin retrying on the secondary connection. I think that if you set that minimum interval to 0, would make it so it could begin trying again after the 3 retries.

-Tim

1 Like