What do you mean by PROFINET Optimized?

The Easy Config modes 6-10 mention optimizations for PROFINET, but the user manual does not explain what those optimizations entail.

Please reply with instructions for manually setting-up an Anybus access point for optimal communication with a pair of PROFINET Anybus clients.

Hi @tkent

Hello it looks like those optimizations are that the Profinet packets will get priority over TCP

This is something that can be done through the AT commands that are described here:

See page 83/86

The request was for instructions to manually set the module for optimal PROFINET communication.

Is the following correct?
PROFINET Optimization:
1.) Go to AT Commands page.
2.) Enter ATS5101=1 (turn on packet prioritization)
3.) Enter ATS5104=0x8892 (set priority to PROFINET packets)

Does the following set the packet priority to prefer EtherNet/IP(DLR) packets?
Enter ATS5104=0x80E1

What the auto configuration for Profinet optimization does is set values for the following S-Registers:

S-Register 5101: 1
S-Register 5102: 0x8892
S-Register 5104: 1

But by default S-Registers 5102 and 5104 should have the correct values. You should just need to set ATS5101=1

Based on the IEEE Ethernet type standard, 8892 is set to be for Profinet.
http://standards-oui.ieee.org/ethertype/eth.txt

As for the 80E1, you can setup the device to prioritize this Ethernet type but the only thing I could find tying DLR to 0x80E1 was a Wikipedia article. If DLR is at 80E1, then it will prioritize those packets with the AT command you showed above, but I haven’t been able to verify what the 0x80E1 Ethernet type is used for

Pardon my error: - > 3.) Enter ATS5102=0x8892

Please confirm the AT command syntax.

0x80E1 is the Ethertype for an Allen-Bradley Device Level Ring (DLR), which is a ring topology that provides redundant connections to the WAN.

Lastly, can enabling the PTCP filter result in harming PROFINET communication?
Would setting this register prevent PROFINET packets from entering a non-PROFINET WLAN?

Hi @tkent

you have the correct syntax, if you want to check that it was applied you can enter ATS5102? to show what its value is.

ATS5102=0x80E1
ATS5102?

As for the PTCP, I’ll ned to verify if it’s Parallel TCP or if it’s Precision Time Control Protocol before I can answer that question

If it is precision time control protocol, I think you may want this if you’re trying to keep clock signals synchronized between your PLCs

Yes, you definitely need to keep the default setting for a PROFINET system.

• But, when is it appropriate to “drop” the PTCP packets?

Without having more information, it’s a little difficult to say because it could be an application specific situation. I could check with our developers to find out more information on this

Can you describe what you’re doing with your system and why you think you might need to drop PTCP packets?

I need to know how to optimize the Anybus Bolt for PROFINET or Ethernet/IP.

In the spirit of optimization, I might need to drop PTCP packets when they enter a network where they are not needed, such as an Ethernet/IP network.

I don’t believe we have any Ethernet/IP optimization settings, but you have the correct settings for doing Profinet optimization.

I’ll need to look into situations where PTCP might be worth filtering out, but it may be helpful if you describe the setup that your working with.

Perhaps your European colleagues should consider optimizations for Ethernet/IP and the Common Industrial Protocol (CIP).

Further research indicates that setting the packet preference to 0x88F7 should set the module to prioritize the packets bearing the IEEE 1588 PTP Ethertype.

ATS5104 should prioritize the ethernet type you set for its value

It looks like you had meant to type “ATS5101 should prioritize the ethernet type you set for its value.”

NNTR

Whoops, that was a mistake on my part, you’re correct