Wireless Bolt needs power-up reset

I downgraded from V1.3.9 to V1.2.3 and couldn’t get it online again, V1.3.9 at least worked, it just wouldn’t re-establish comms if the link was lost and needed a power-down reset.
I was told I couldn’t downgrade to V1.1.6, but Dahlberg was successful and now appears to be working.
Where can I download the “Firmware Manager 2” application, as per Dahlberg reply?

I will need to test it myself but with firmware Manager II you should be able to revert back down to (1.1.6) Service pack 1.

Deryck

I was able to downgrade to V1.1.6 SP1 and the Bolt has now been running successfully for the last 2 days!
If the WiFi connection is lost due to range (mobile overhead crane application), the Bolt is now capable of re-establish the link with the AP when back in WiFi range.

Is this lockup issue a known issue with the AWB II as well?

I recently installed a pair of bridges in a new overhead gantry crane system. The client bridge unit is on the crane, connected to an unmanaged switch with multiple devices connected to it (AB CompactLogix, two Ethernet/IP devices, an AB Ethernet/IP VFD). The CompactLogix also has an Ethernet/IP connection to an IO device on the land-based side, and there is a AB Panelview and another PLC communicating with it across the wireless link as well.

Both the land-based AP and the remote Client bridges are running F/W 1.2.3 (installed out of the box). The client bridge mode setting is configured for “Layer 3 IP forward”.

Normally this setup works fantastic. I can also connect to the CompactLogix controller over the wireless link with no disruption whatsoever. The throughput seems very good.

But on three occasions now the wireless link has locked up. In this situation all communication is lost across the wireless bridge. The System Overview page on the AP bridge doesn’t indicate anything out of the ordinary, and still shows the MAC of the client unit as connected. But the client IP address does not ping.

During one instance, the WLAN LED on the client appeared to be blinking purple, as if it was scanning for an AP, and the WAN and LAN LED’s were off on the AP bridge. Also the link quality LED’s were off on the client bridge. In the most recent incident though, the LED’s on both units indicated normal operation.

In all cases cycling power on the client bridge fixes the communication and everything begins working normally again.

Is a downgrade to a previous F/W rev the suggested workaround at this time?

Thanks

Hello,

This does for sure seems to be the same issue, however with the AWB II I do not think there is an option to move down another firmware revision. I will need to check on this.

Best regards,
Nick

Hello @kbrewster,

You would be able to downgrade to 1.1.6 to fix the issue the is requiring a reboot. This does reintroduce other bugs but if you are using two devices in bridge mode you should not see much change. The firmware was also never officially released for AWBII so there could be unexpected issues.

To downgrade will need to use Firmware Manager II available here > https://www.anybus.com/support/file-doc-downloads/anybus-support-tools?orderCode=tools

Deryck

Deryck,

Thank you for the response. Is a firmware upgrade the currently recommended work-around for this issue?

Best regards,

Keith

Yes, if you are seeing issues with the device requiring a reboot downgrading to 1.1.6 is the current recommended work-around. We waiting for development to get back to us with details on a patch being released.

Deryck

Hi Deryck,

Do you have any updates yet from your developers, for an estimated timeframe on a fix for this issue? I know it was back in March that we discovered this issue.

Hello,

We are anticipating a release candidate within a month.

Deryck

Hello All,

We now have Firmware 1.5.3 available, and this should resolve the issue requiring the AWB device to be power cycled. The device should auto reconnect within 1 second.

Please give this firmware a try and let us know if you continue to see any issues or see any other issues.

Deryck

Hello All,

Just wanted to reach out and see if any of you had any feedback regarding the 1.5.3 update. Are any of you seeing any issues with the devices not maintaining a connection or needing to be rebooted?

@sslovik @kbrewster @Chris14 @Dahlberg

Hello!

Just back from some vacation, im updating two of our bolts to 1.5.3.
I’ll check if they can be installed asap, however summer vacations has just started… :confused:
When i have more info i’ll update to this thread. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

We are using the Anybolt on firmware 1.6.3

We are finding that operators are having to power cycle the Anybolts multiple times each week to restore network connectivity. We have the bolts setup for layer 2 mac clone with static management. Essentially a PC sits behind the Anybolt and the anybolt connects to a Cisco Meraki wifi access point.

Are we able to capture logs from the bolts? We have about 13 of these in production all facing the same issue.

Thanks
Adam

Hi Adam,

We do not have any logging on the Bolt. If you log into the Bolts webpage do you see the bolt as disconnected from the AP or do you just lose communications though it?

Are you able to get any logs from the AP controller? Does it indicate any errors or that it is forcing it to disconnect?

Deryck

Hi Deryck,

Sadly we dont have much log information available.

It would be nice to have the bolts post syslog data or have the ability.

Thanks
Adam

Hi Adam,

This was actually one of my requests to the development team for logging capabilities. Being able to see what events are occurring on the wifi side would help in many support issues. I hope to see it in a future release but it has not been confirmed by the devs yet.

Deryck

A post was split to a new topic: Firmware 2.0. bolt still drops comms

Topic closed due to inactivity.

i can not find post #35