Wireless Bolt Wireless Lan Controller compatibility

We are deploying several Wireless Bolts to connect to our PLC’s. How well do the wireless Bolt work with Wireless Lan Controllers? It there a compatibility list or suggested configuration we should be using?

Thanks

Stein97

Hello,

We do not have such a compatibility list. However, you should be able to connect the Bolt to any wireless access point or client.

Best regards,
Nick

Yes we are able to connect the Wireless Bolts to our WLC but since the Bolts and any devices behind them will show as duplicate MAC addresses on the network. Our older Cisco 4402 WLC does not like that and blocks the Wireless Bolts. The newer Cisco 2802 with Cisco Mobility Express doesn’t seem to care.
I was hoping that you had a Best Practice when is comes to deploying these devices on an enterprise level. I really can’t see Network Engineers deploying autonomous access point there production areas, that would be a management nightmare.

I don’t follow why the devices are showing up as duplicates. Are the devices already connected to the network with out the Bolt?

You can set up the AWB device to clone the LAN devices MAC so that only one device will connect to the WLAN.

Let me start by explaining my setup.

I have a Wireless Bolt connected to PC at my Desk.

Bolt IP Address is 10.168.5.99 (see screenshot below for more details)

PC IP Address is 10.168.5.200 (see screenshot below for more details)

The Bolt connect to our wireless network which is a Cisco 2802 with mobility express running as a WLC.

When both devices are connected to the network we see the following on the Layer 3 Core router:

CoreRouter# sh ip arp | inc 10.168.5

10.168.5.99 00:00:18 0030.111d.e119 Vlan665

10.168.5.200 00:00:37 0030.111d.e119 Vlan665

So as you see I have 2 IP with 1 MAC Address, any help is greatly appreciates as I have 12 Wireless Bolts.

Here is my Configuration:

The Bolt is forwarding on the IP/layer 3 level so the MAC of the bolt is going to be used on the network. Your best option would be to use the MAC clone mode to clone the LAN’s device’s MAC so only one is seen on the WLAN. This change is made from the WLAN tab. Configuring the Bolt this way will limit it to only that device connecting to the WLAN.

I also strongly recommend up dating your firmware to 1.5.3. We have made significant stability improvements since FW 1.1.6.

Deryck

So I was experimenting with the different Bridge Modes and yes the Layer 2 with Clone MAC seems to be my best option.

I did run into an issue though, I want to try a different configuration so I did a factory reset, but the Bolt kept all of my settings.

I am doing a firmware update now.

I’ll report back if the layer 2 Clone works for us.

Thanks

Mark

Hello,

Have you had any issues since updating the Firmware?

Best regards,
Deryck

My test unit has been working fine, waiting for downtime to get to a production unit.

Stein97

Glad to hear let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Best regards,
Deryck