ATT 4G card possible issues and triggered connection through text

@m_ross
Looking for more information regarding a batch of ATT 4G cards we’ve received. Heard there may be problems with them.

Also, trying to set up triggered connections by text and it’s not working.

Michael,

As long as you are running 13.2 and you won’t have issues with the ATT 4G cards. Are you using one of these cards in the device you are trying to send the text to?

Kyle

Kyle,
We are a distributor and have stock of ATT 4G Flexy cards. I believe the most recent batch of Flexys ship with 12.0 firmware. are you saying the ATT 4G devices will not work properly out of the box?

The connection trigger is a separate issue. I’m sure I don’t have something setup quite right. Maintain connection works fine, but when I set the device to be triggered-by-SMS, nothing will wake the modem. My carrier has confirmed that I am texting the correct number and the device is receiving the texts. I updated the firmware and am running 13.2, using a Verizon 4G card with good signal. Is there any additional setup that I need to do other than the internet wizard and send the text “Talk2M_Connect” or “Talk2MConnect” to the device? I’ve tried setting the connection time-out to be longer than the default, but no luck, also I tried sending the text through eCatcher to the +1(Number), and that wasn’t successful either. Is there anything I am missing?

Hi Michael,

Those specific ATT cards do require you upgrade the firmware.

Can you send me a backup of the device having the triggered SMS problems? I know some customers have had problems where the text doesn’t work due to the plan being data only and not including text message support, but it sounds like you already checked with the carrier about this.

Thanks,

Kyle

Hi Kyle,
Just to focus on the ATT 4G devices problem, because that seems a bit more important.

what are the affected devices? is it both EC6133H, FLB3205?

How bad are the issues?

Is there a reason HMS has not put out an official statement?

We have sold quite a few of the FLB3205. Knowing that most of our customers do not do not upgrade the firmware of the devices, are we going to have issues in the future? Should we reach out and make sure the firmware is upgraded before the devices are deployed?

Hello @m_ross,
What are the affected devices? is it both EC6133H, FLB3205?
The FLB 3205 have a minimum firmware requirement for the base Flexy device. Since the FLB is a new device you just need to be on the latest firmware so the Flexy knows how to talk to the card. You should see this requirement printed on the label on the back of the FLB card. The Verizon cards requires FW > 12.1 and the most recent FLB 3205 cards from production require FW > 13.1 as a firmware requirement.

I recommend checking the label as the requirement can change if we make any changes to the Firmware on the FLB cards.

How bad are the issues?
If you try to use a card with a higher minimum requirement then what is on the Flexy the device might not boot or can have stability issues.

Is there a reason HMS has not put out an official statement?
The firmware requirement is printed on the FLB card and included in the documentation.

If they taking a device in the field and installing a 4g card they will want to update the device for the cards to work properly. I would recommend making sure the devices are updated.

Thanks Deryck

I Appreciate the clarification.