Bridge and Bolt communication issues at 50 ft

Hi Kent

Happy new year

We are looking to have your support again … we made several modifications in our systems to improve the netowrking strength but are still facing un-stability and it is iterrupting machine functionality.

The modifications we made was:

1. The IT changed all the channels running on channel 1 to other channels and we are kept with Channel 1 for the wireless system only. Picture attached can show the details.

2. We isolate the encoder/pulses reading from machine functionality to reduce the load of data sent from/to PLC.

3. We provide heart beat (giving output signal and recieving input signal) and checked the timing between them. Attached is snapshots of these delays. We set a delay time of 2 sec and then 5 sec but without improvement

Please advice what we can do
Appreciate your feedback

Regards
Amr

Hello Amr,

I spoke with Kent, regarding this case and we are thinking you could be transferring more data then can be supported over wireless. AWB devices can support up to 20 Mbps max. You will want to try to calculate how much data you are actually transferring and seeing if you can reduce it.

As I suggested previously try using the clients in Mac clone mode to help limit the traffic sent you send to it. You could also try using a dedicated AWB as the AP for each client.

Regards,
Deryck

Hello Deryck
I don’t know how mush of data is being transfered and if you remember I ask you how can we calculate it.
I already change the clients on Mac but did not have the chance for testing. Probably next Thursday we will be able but will do it with one client bolt and not with double bolt so we can try to reduce load traffic.
Regards
Amr

Hello,

Calculating how much data can be tricky. The best option would be to sniff the traffic being sent though the Bridge or Bolt and add it up. This can be done with Wireshark and a hub or Managed switch.

1. Plug your PC, the AWB, and the connection that would go to the AWB into the Managed switch/Hub
  2. If you are using a managed switch mirror the port the AWB is plugged into to your PC
  3. Start a wireshark capture and log the traffic
  4. You can then add a column that will show you cumulative bytes. You can then use that and the time to calculate the bps.

Regards,
Deryck

1 Like

Hi Kent

Good Day

We need to have you feedback on our testing and what can we do to improve your system. It is still not working properly till know. We are having the system hanging once every 1 hr for 5-6 sec then going back to normal.

We made a modification on our PLC program and we reduced the amount of data transfer by 50%. We switch to wireless for the low puller only. Previously we were operating both pullers (low and high) on wireless. I attached a trend snap shot for the timer and it shows how the transmitting/recieving is dealyed by ~5-6 sec

Also, we made a calculation for the amount of data transfer every second so we can see if we are in the limit of
your system. The finiding are

PLC Scan Time = 1 scan (80 bits) every 30 ms on the low puller ==> ~ 34 scans (~2800 bits) a sec. Your system can run on 20 Mbps.
According to this calculation the system should work even on the 2 pullers with 160 bits of I/O’s

We have implemented all the recommendations from your end but still the system is not functioning as expected. My management is putting pressure for this to be finalized as it is causing us a lot of breakdowns.

Apprecaite your continuous support
Willing to hear from you soon

Regards

Amr

Hello @amromahayni,

Are the AWB devices rebooting? Can you look at the internal web page and see if the up time counter on the over view tab resets? Can you also confirm what firmware version you are running?

Deryck

Hi Deryck
the bridge up time is 0 d, 12 h, 57 m, 50 s
the bolt up time is 0 d, 0 h, 11 m, 37 s

both firmware versions are 1.3.8, this was done on Nov 23

It looks like they going off frequenctly so the up time resetting

What will be the next step

Regards
Amr

@amromahayni,

Does the up time correlate with when the devices lost communications?

i did not link both together, but I realize the web connection did cut off when working on the bolt. I restart the web browser then worked fine. this happened twice

Hello Deryck
Would like to know any if any update.
If we can have the contact details for the person in Sweden so we can have direct discussion with him.

Also, did any of your previous customers have such problems before and how where they solved. If we can have their contacts as well to get in touch.
We are trying to develop the system for you willing to solve the problem

Regards
Amr

Hello @amromahayni,

The only thing we can come up with that is causing you issue is that you are running into a hidden Node ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_node_problem )
Besides this we are not sure what else could be going on.

Deryck